Coil insertion - My Experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so 2 days ago I had the implant removed and the copper coil put in. First thing i am going to say is unless you have a very very high pain threshold i wouldn't reccomend having it put in. I've not had any children so for me it was horrific. Can honestly say i've never felt pain like it in my life butt this may be different for others. I even had a numbing gel put in first to help so i dread to think what it would have been like without that. It all starts off quite simple but as soon as the lady was ''measuring my womb'' i was a crying mess! lol. Very hard to explain the feeling, it's a very very sharp feeling right inside. Once it was in i was made to stay laying down for half an hour, given paracetamol, water, had my pulse checked and the doctor was very nice about it all but no sooner had it been put in than the after pains started. Again, vile! Like nothing i've felt before, even now as i write im clutching a hot water bottle to my tummy and wondering why i decided to put myself through this. Like i said before, i have never had children but the only way i can describe the pains im having is as contractions. They come in waves and are sometimes sharp and other times dull and so deep and painful, then they'll go for a few minutes and then come back! Also, lots of pressure down below but the doctor said this will be my body seeing the coil as a ''foreign object'' and will be trying to push it out. It's been two days now and still can't manage too much and i'm the type that will usually just get on with things but i've honestly never felt anything like it. I'm also bleeding very heavily. Just hoping that these pains will let up within the next day or two!!!

I'm not trying to put anyone off i'm just giving my experience and i personally wouldn't reccomend having this fitted unles you can take pain!

Hoping all this pain will be worth it in a few days though because i'm very excited about having no artificial hormones racing around my body! smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chan321, I also had a coil fitted a few years back and, like you, I found it incredibly painful. The pain did subside eventually, but I was always aware that it was there right up until I had it removed. I hope it works out ok for you.
  • Posted

Well mine seems to have settled, just hope it stays that way! no longer clutching hot water bottles and paracetamol!!!!!!!!!! and feeling lots different since having the implant removed, appetite has reduced massively!!!!!!!!! As i said before, having the coil inserted was the most painful thing i've experienced in my life so far but just hoping it will be worth it once the initial bleeding and pain subsides!!!!! But today is the first day i havent needed paracetamol!!! so hoping it settles and....... No artificial hormones having a field day in my bodyl!!!! Hoping it all works out for me! AND soon as my partner and i decide to have a baby, fertility returns to normal immediately!! Major plus side!!!! Even tho its mega painful, if it carries on the way it is, id definately recommend it if u have a high pain threshhold, if not, dont even think about it smile good luck ladies xx
  • Posted

i had a coil put in when i was 19 and suffered the exact same pains. after i had my son i decided to have another coil fitted and it didnt hurt like before, i was dreading it going back to have another one put in and i was sooo much more comfortable the 2nd time. hope that helps anyone else who is thinking of having one smile
  • Posted

i was considering this option since having a baby but now i'm not so sure! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.