Coimbra protocol? Has anyone here try it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last month i have been having joint pains, considering my age and past history of skin disorders, i am leaning towards some kind of auto immune disease, specifically rheumatoid arthritis. I've read that vitamin D deficient people are more prone to auto immune diseases, and stumbled upon the coimbra protocol online. Currently I'm trying 4000iu of daily vitamin D3 without medical supervision, and the results are pretty good, but I can still feel mild pain.

I want to try the full protocol, but there is no physician with sufficient knowledge of this protocol near my area or even in this hemisphere (Asia), and I am reluctant of the side effects if there is no supervision.

Has anybody tried the protocol with RA? What are your results, and how fo you feel? What should I do, the pain is starting to effect my work, I also have read all about DMARD and biologics, and because of many factors, I think that this vitamin D treatment is the one that will suit me best..

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

See a doctor
    • Posted

I will see one, in fact the appointment with the rheumatologist is tomorrow. I'm just asking is there anyone here who has experience with the coimbra protocol, because apparently there are thousands of patients of auto immune diseases who have had relatively successful results.

• Posted

"Please do not attempt to duplicate Dr. Coimbra's protocol without a full understanding of how he applies his treatment. The reason you won't find an exact written version of this protocol is that Dr. Coimbra does detailed testing of each one of his patients and alters the protocol for each one. He then monitors his patients continuously for their safety and to make adjustments to their daily dosing. We can only share some basic guidelines and principals he uses."

That was a quote from the vitamin D council, not me.

And this is a quote from someone who looks rather more scientifically at medicine:

",,, all the characteristics of modern alternative therapy: a single discoverer, a hitherto undiscovered biology, an unproven therapeutic intervention and one of the most aggravating issues in alternative medicines: Taking a scientific truth the size of a molehill and transmogrifying it into a Cascade Range of exaggerated disease etiology and treatment."

This is a protocol which was developed by one person - and I suspect the "thousands" of successes claimed are at best an exaggeration and at worst a lie. There are quite a few such claims to be found on the internet and if they were true they would result in no illness - especially autoimmune disorders. 

On a thread in the forum for nutrition etc you will find patients who were taking "high dose" vit D for the very simple reason their blood level was low. Their doses are tiny compared with what this protocol uses - and they have had severe side effects. There are underlying disorders which make too much dietary vit D bad for you  - and without medical supervision you COULD make yourself extremely ill. And not "cure" your RA.

As Blair says - discuss it with your doctor. But don't believe everything you read in one-sided articles on the internet.

• Posted

I’ve taken to not saying hello when I pick up my landline. I now just wait for the pitch to begin and hang up. 

I was wondering whether I should have applied the same principle here, but self harm is no joke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.