Cold and Snow and increased Pain - Correlation?

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's a cold snowy day here in New Jersey and both knees (TKR 6 and 3 months) are screaming at me and I haven't start my day yet. I've been hoping that the weather wouldn't effect my pain levels like before TKR. Please say it isn't so. Feeling it is, so what can I do to help mitigate the effects (moving south is not an option) Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I live in Florida and sometimes my knees scream at me, especially when rain is coming 

20 weeks post op from rtkr

• Posted

Leg warmers?

Bit cold here in UK but doesn't feel very much different ????

• Posted

It's cold and snowing here in the UK . Fortunately  my knees are not affected by the cold . Can't really advise you as I never had a problem with cold .Your replacements are still very new and will improve with age . Recovery can be a long and slow process , but you will get there in the end . You will have many pain free years to look forward to . My knees are almost 19½ and 17½ years old now and I have had no problems with them . 

• Posted

But we are supposed to ice in order to reduce swelling.

this will save you the chore.

good luck,you'll be fine in time.

Mike

• Posted

(2009, me...) It's a cold snowy day here in New Jersey and my new hip is are screaming at me and I haven't started my day yet. I've been hoping that the weather wouldn't affect my pain levels like before the hip replacement. Please say it isn't so. 

Yes, it's so...yes the weather affects your pain levels.  So in 2010, we packed a truck and left...just left...

Now I have a metal knee, a metal hip and so much metal in my spine you really don't want to know about it.  Pain from the weather?  ZERO...  There is no option.  Metal body parts and cold climates are a nightmare combination. 

Greetings from Fort Worth, Texas

• Posted

Not what I wanted to hear but what I thought was happening. Can't move although I'd like to, house won't sell and disabled daughter won't get same services elsewhere. So I'm stuck, at least until the housing market goes up again. So lots of Tylenol in my future

• Posted

I know it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth.  Get the doc to write an RX for Voltaren Gel...excellent topical anti-inflammatory.  I get 5 tubes at a time.  Use it a few times a day, especially at bedtime.

Housing:  I got caught in the 2010 crash...couldn't sell the NJ house for a long while.  The ex stayed in it until it sold.  Had a great 1,200 sq. ft., 2BR, 2BA apartment with den in Fort Worth at $900/month for two years until my wife and I custom built our house out in a pretty little town 20 minutes west of FTW.  2,700 sq. ft., single-floor ranch (NO STAIRS!!!), 5BR, 2.5BA, 3/4 wooded acre, all brick outside, dual fireplace, covered back patio and more...$225K, $4K in taxes.  Screw New Jersey!!!!

Medical: If your daughter needs special care, Fort Worth and Dallas (40 minutes east) have some of the greatest facilities on the planet.  This place is packed with them.  Kindred Children's Hospital is right here...one of the best anywhere.  Screw New Jersey!!!

Plus...  They start planting flowers in the road medians on February 1st!!!  The winter here is like mid-50's to 60's days and 40-degree nights.  A lot of the time it's mostly 70's.  A few years ago, it was 83-degrees on Christmas Day.  Yes, the summers are 100-degrees but with the humidity at 20-30%, you don't feel the heat.  Not like NJ where it's 95-degrees and 95% humidity and you have to change shirts 5 times in a day.  Screw New Jersey!!!

We're lucky that this is where we landed.  Further north and you get tornadoes; further south and you get bad humidity and hurricanes...although Austin is FABULOUS.  Think about dealing with that pain year after year...then get a truck...  I grew up in Brooklyn and lived in NJ from 1971 to 2010...this was the best move ever...

• Posted

Hi Kathylake I’m a newby at the moment, I had to have a complete knee replacement 20/2 this year, got on the table & Surgan  found he required the full joint re Osteoporosis had been  eaten away completely. It’s wonderful as I can walk with a little to no pain,My Gait before Operation was 180 with help of Crutch now back to 80 & only pain is the Healing & the Cold Leg as Knee feels Cold & sometimes Heavy, my goodness best thing since knee went down 9years ago in Mexico while on holidays 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.