Cold & buzzing in my ears

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, New to this group. Was diagnoosed with hypothyroidism Oct 8 started taking Levothyroxine 50mg. I am freezing on and off through out the  day & this buzzing in my ears is driving me crazy. I pray this stops soon. Please tell me this will stop soon. how long does it take for medicine to start working? Is the buzzing in ears normal? never had this before.  

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cindy I've been on levo for 11 weeks now. I've had some major ups and downs and sideways whilst I've adjusted to the meds. It's only been the last week or so where I felt I'm finally levelling out on it and it's beginning to do its job.

I've just had my first lot of bloods done to see how the levo is doing. So it's all about adjusting the dosage till it's right for you as well.

I don't suffer from the ear buzzing but I've heard it's a hypo symptom and I hope it stops soon for you.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer Thank you for your reply, I hope my levels straighten out too in a few weeks. glad to find this group so I can learn more. 
  • Posted

Hi Cindy,

It's early days but when you get your first blood test make sure they measure your T3 as well as the T4 and TSH (that I am sure they will). This will determine whether or not you are a good converter of the T4 which you are getting in the Levo, to T3 which your body has to make (it is the active hormone which will determine your feeling of well being). If you do that early on it will save you months (maybe years!) of feeling crappy before they condescend to think about that aspect.

• Posted

Thank u I will. I am trying to gain as much info as I can before I go back to in a couple of months for more bloodwork. I don't know to much about the T3 or T4 or what they mean. my doctor had her staff call in my medicince so I no nothing about this.
  • Posted

Hello Cindyh:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Sorry to hear you have been doagnosed as Hypothyroid.  The medication takes about 6 to 8 weeks to build a proper level. It is slow and you will have to give it some more time.  Later on the doctor will ask you to have blood drawn again for a check on the level.

Is your blood pressure high?  Buzzing can be from high blood pressure or an inner ear problem.  How long have you had it?  I never had that symptom.

Many bad symptoms will subside as the body gets used to the medication and makes a new level.  Please get a mineral panel done, (blood work Potassium, calcium, sodium, iron, ferritn, magnesium and B-12 and Vit  D) we need to have good minerals and vitamins levels in our bodies for the medication to work well.  You can take a good multivitamin made for women and that  will help.

Take your Thyroid me (LEVO) on an empty stomach and wait at least one hour before eating  You can take a vitamin at lunch time to space things out.

Let us know how you do. Stay well,

Shelly

• Posted

Shelly, I am really interested in something you just wrote. When my ignorant Endo kept trying to medicate me to TSH (mine was low, almost imperceptible) she cranked me down to 100mcgs of Levo. I became terrible sick and developed a hissing noise in my head. This all happened over a mere 4 weeks of undermedication. I have had high blood pressure since starting on Levo 8 years ago but now I cannot get rid of a hissing in my ears (I didn't have it before that 100mcg disaster). 

I am now on NDT and that improved matters considerably but did not affect my BP which remains high (150 systolic - diastolic is OK (70) and pusle OK at 70bpm). 

What do you think? Is it possible to reduce BP whilst on Thyroid meds? I am currently going crazy with excercise to reduce my weight in order to bring my BP down - I am riding my bike to point of exhaustion for one hour per day but after 8 weeks I have lost a whopping 6lbs!  Whoo. And very little affect on BP. Do you think the hissing noise is caused by the BP?

Any info. you have on this aspect of thyroid probs would be appreciated.

• Posted

Hi LAH:

When you were on Levo the T4 was not converting into T3, and we know that T3 and T4 effect the heart rate. So  back when you were on the LEVO alone, you may have had a faster pulse and some constriction on your arteries which would cause the BP to rise. 

Of course any extra weight will bring on Hypertension (high BP), which is a problem that goes with us that are Hypothyroid and losing weight is very helpful to the heart, & BP status. 

The doctor's like Systolic BP (top number) under 140 and bottom number (Diasystolic) to be between 60-89.

Try and reduce sodium in your diet.  Sodium can cause high BP and  allows the body to hold onto extra fluid. Look at labels on products you buy to see the sodium content. We all should look at labels and see carb load and sodium in  products we like to eat. Cut portions down if lot's of sodium in the product or buy foods that say LOW SODIUM.  It is in huge amts. in ready made foods and canned foods and fast foods.

High BP can cause that sound and also an inner ear reaction in some people to a new medication.  Some people can't take Aspirin or pain meds as it can bring on that sound.

If you want to reduce the BP a bit more, some doctor's will prescribe a diuretic "water pill" and it will make you urinate a bit more but it reduces cardiac volume (extra water the body holds onto). Of course this is a temporary fix, and you would have to keep taking the diuretic to keep the bodies volume down.

All of our organs need the thyroid hormones and it is so important we get the levels correct there and we can work on our weight after that.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much Shelly, that all makes sense and I will get on it right away.
  • Posted

Hi Cindy, I recommend keeping a diary of your symptoms and what level of levo you are on, so you can look back and map improvements.  It will help when you need to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. It is probably a good idea to get a copy of your blood results, including the ranges, again so you can see changes. You have a right to see these although some doctors charge for them. Thyroid UK is a good organisation with lots of help, support, advice tips etc.. There are some thyroid pages on Facebook too.There is lots of good stuff on this forum. Information is power! Good luck.
  • Posted

There is a good symptom list on a doctor lowe website. I'll PM you the link.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.