Cold hands and feet

Posted , 5 users are following.

As I've gotten older i have noticed i have cold hands and feet, even in the summer. Don't know if it's hormonal or just getting older. Doctor doesn't seem concerned,sees this a lot. What's your story?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle,  I hope either ice cold or burning up.  I actually had Raynauds over the winter.  My hands and feet would turn almost white, blueish, then reddish while warming up. Or one arm would be cold. I got tested for lupus, and other auto immune issues.  All clear.  Then, I read something about low progesterone can cause this.  As progesterone plays a big role in our nervous system. Crazy hormones.  Drs could never answer me the why’s...they told me to wear mittens🙄

• Posted

Michelle have you had a thyroid test? If you have, it could also be low calcium. When I get cold I take calcium pills and potassium iodide to avoid getting low thyroid function.
    • Posted

I actually have a nodule on my thyroid and many blood tests. All are in normal range. I have low blood pressure and have always been cold. My husband says like sleeping with an ice cube. It's just gotten worse over the years. Doc says hormones and stress. Just annoying!

• Posted

Okay, I forgot I too have low blood pressure but when I take calcium pills or potassium iodide my body temperature seems to rise a little more. Try and see if the calcium helps, my friend who's a doctor suggested I try it and I'd say he was right at least in my case a few years back. Nowadays, due to fears of having low thyroid function since Fukushima Dai Ichi, and that there has been a 50% rise in thyroid dysfunction and thyroid cancer i take potassium iodide and I noticed I'm not as cold even with my low blood pressure. I take one pill a week. Seems to keep me from freezing at night.

• Edited

Hi, I have always had cold hand and particularly feet. It is awful even.in summer I have to wear socks. I put it down to raynouds - self diagnosed since DRs weren't much help. But yours could be hormonal changes I guess. Also I wonder if you gave had heavy periods recently. If so it could have caused anemia that could also make you cold. All the best

• Posted

No heavy periods. They have become a two day ordeal. For the past year every two to three months i get one. I am almost 51. Thanks for your responses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.