Cold-like symptoms after exercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, 

For 4-5 years I have been having these problems and it escalated the latest year or so. It goes like this: 

-I exercise (gym or running) moderately (not hard) or even only walk a few miles. 

-Roughly 30-40 hours later I feel like having fever (I don't have fever though, I've checked). This feeling disappears after a few hours. I also during this period of time get a strange feeling of "numb" muscles in legs and arms. Also something like "brain fog". After that: 

-I start getting a swollen throat (pharynx). 

-I get a runny nose and start sneezing. 

-I get wounds or blisters on my tongue after a few more days. It is like red areas on several places on the tongue. 

These wounds/blisters and the other symptoms remain for several days. 

The swollen throat and the runny nose is more or less exactly like when a cold is starting. Difference in this case is that the symptoms do not get worse if I rest. It does not transform into a "real cold". 

When I try to exercise again in this state my body does not respond, I get tired and have no energy. 

Really feels that something is "going on" in my body. 

If I rest the symptoms will go away in 4-5 days until I exercise again. The wounds on the tongue will stay a bit longer. Pictures of the "wounds": 

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah191/bjornw78/9_zpsclyhm2i6.png

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah191/bjornw78/12_zpsajbftanx.png

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah191/bjornw78/8_zpschvkop8i.png

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah191/bjornw78/11_zpslzj2fo6n.png

I have not been able to get much help at my local hospital. They have taken tests for bacteria and viruses and found nothing. Immunological tests showed nothing. 

During some periods (some months now and then) I have been able to exercise withour any issues (8-10 hours per week). 

Would be really grateful for any help. 

Best regards Bjorn

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You may or may not have what is sometimes called Raynaud's phenomenon. 

Check with the physician if that's the case. 

And, what immunological test were done ?

https://patient.info/health/raynauds-phenomenon-leaflet

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the answer! I will check that one. Immunological tests were:

P--Immunglobulin G 

P--Immunglobulin G1 

P--Immunglobulin G2 

P--Immunglobulin G3 

P--Immunglobulin A

P--Immunglobulin M 

Also some blood tests were done without any findings.

Best regards Bjorn

• Posted

Bjorn, 

I am so sorry to hear of your continuing maladies, however, if it is of any consolation, You could insert my name into your place and my story is almost identical.  Only until the internet of recent years have I realized that there is a rather large group of us that are not at all understood by those who do moderate or intense workouts and only incur the normal expected aches and pains.  For forty years I have asked doctors about this and although they were well meaning, they were not helpful, nor  did they ever say that they had seen others expressing the same symptomology following every workout.  I too have tried every supplement every tip, taken every test and listen to the advice of well-meaning people, most of whom did not suffer the repeated flu like symptoms following a work out.    The closest thing at this point in time now that I am in my early 60s, seems that the cause could be from a viral issue that is undetected by typical testing.   I suspected Lyme disease as I had a tick in bedded in my ear in the early 1970’s,  and as I said was tested for the other known autoimmune diseases that are out there. All the results were negative and all of my blood counts and so on were normal. If it is not viral, some have guessed that during exercise our fat cells release toxins and overload the body producing such a condition. I don’t know if that  has any merit to it.   So at this point, with all of the reading that I have done, there are still no definitive answers, there are many well-meaning people to suggest opinions, but no one nailing down this real condition that derails an seemingly large number of us.  I have never, I mean never  been able to continue an exercise regimen long enough to see Any real progress before the onset of these ‘flu-like’ symptoms hit like a train.  Yes, we have read it all and tried it all, it seems.  Again, it has been forty years of trying and I cannot dodge it regardless of rest, various diets, supplements, and so on. Even one day a week of light to moderate attempts bring it on.  My wife has been a witness to the ordeal. So, it is real, it is more common than I thought, thanks to the internet.  Some doctor someday will become very wealthy if they pinpoint what this is.  Since a cure for the ‘common cold’ virus has not been found, we will have to be patient!

Best wishes, 

Brotmore

• Posted

Hi. I've suffered with a similar condition for as long as i can remember. Flu-like symptoms appear within hours of even moderate exertion. Often developing into a full blown case of what appears to be flu, but lasts 2-3 days, during which i am really ill. Dog tired, throat swollen, fever etc. This has really impacted my ability to exercise regularly, despite a genuine keenness to do so. Anyway, after numerous trips to the GP with absolutley no interest being shown but having had a few blood tests etc everything seemed fine and no conclusions I decided to delve into the wonderful world of the internet to try to find a solution.

I was amazed to find numerous threads like this one. This does not seem to be an unknown phenomenon, yet no one seems to have a 100% certain explanation .

For me, I believe there is some kind of histamine / immune response issue. I spotted that some people claimed to have seen improvement by taking anti-histamine medication before or after exercise and have been experimenting with this with definite success.

Yesterday I took my teenage son to the gym for the first time for a very very light introductory work out. Within two hours my throat was up and I had a banging headache and I thought oh no here we go again. I remembered but I had some antihistamine in the house and took one within about two hours on the symptoms have completely disappeared and this morning I feel fine.

I am going to take this up again with my GP after Christmas and mention these results as I am not sure about the safety of taking anti-histamines on and on going basis. But at least for the time being this does feel like an effective temporary solution. Just thought I would share with the group, as I fully appreciate how frustrating and debilitating this condition can be.

• Posted

I know this was posted a couple years ago. if you get this i am curious how you made out with this.

this sounds just like chronic fatigue syndrome.

• Posted

I've had these symptoms and I may have a another cause: mold. I was working in my basement quite a bit and I realized that there is mold there. Then, through research, I was led to mold in autos. Where is the first place I go after working out? My car. And my sinuses are wide open. Adding the time in the basement may be part of it.

So I started driving with the windows down and it has helped. Then, I bought an ozone generator and ran it in the car. Detail shops use these as do hotels. FYI, the ozone is dangerous. (I'm dealing with the basement separately.)

So far, I haven't gotten sick after working out. I bookmarked this site and that's how I came back to it; I'll write more if I find more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.