Cold/sinus and dizziness

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had many dizzy free days and then got a terrible headcold/sinus infection. Does that bring on the dizzies to anyone else?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have Menieres and also recently had a very severe head cold.  It definitely increased my dizziness, ear pain and pressure and overall unwellness. The symptoms continued for almost 6 weeks!  I was so worried about the ear pain that I went to my Dr. to have them check my ear for infection.  Was told it looked fine but after a cold, it can take weeks for all the symptoms to resolve.  It did take a long time!  Colds really wreak havoc on people with vestibular problems.  Seems to take forever for that extra fluid from the cold to drain.  My Dr. recommends cold and sinus medication but always check with your own Dr.  Take care.
    • Posted

THANKS....YES HAVE BEEN TAKING SUDAFED AND IT SEEMS TO HELP.  I AGREE COLDS DO WREAK HAVOC.....JUST WHEN I THOGHT IT WAS GONE FOR AWHILE.....
  • Posted

Yes!!!!  The flu, sinusitis and pneumonia blew a 3 month running streak with no symptoms of MD. It all came back and I had to (almost) start from square #1 with steroid treatments.  Part of it was my own fault, for not seeking treatment as soon as I started feeling fullness again, but I was too sick to sort out what was what, at that point.  

Anyway, my doctor tells me that it's pretty common for any upper respiratory infection (especially sinus and/or middle ear) to aggravate MD.  Allergies will also kick up trouble with MD, something to think about as we're now officially in Spring.

I wish you a quick recovery!!!

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Hi,  Have the steroid treatments helped you?  How often do you get them?Was wondering what the success rate is, as I may be offered this.  Thanks!
    • Posted

Hi Louise,

Yes, steroid treatments have helped me tremendously! I had a very severe case of MD, and failed conservative measures for a year before I was finally referred to a doctor who pioneered the procedure in this area: He administers an injection of 10mg of Dexamethasone every 4 weeks. Once complete cessation of symptoms is achieved, he'll increase the interval to every 5 weeks, then every 6 weeks and so on, until I feel I feel I can go without them. Because I'm so horrified of ever having that deathly vertigo again, he's agreed to s " booster" shot every three months! It's a very gradual process, Every month you look for s decrease in frequency and intensity of episodes. For me, that began after the 3rd injection. Then things began to change more rapidly. During month 6 I experienced a big shift: my head cleared completely! No more fog. No nausea. No loss of balance. My episodes were by that point, very few and very mild. The next month I had a single episode of ear fullness and an increase in tinnitus. After the next injection I was symptom free! And now, I'm actually experiencing a huge reduction in tinnitus and increase in hearing. Amazing! It requires patience, but for me, the injections have been the answer... and no harmful side effects whatsoever.

I wish you all the best!!

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Hi JMJ,  That is extremely encouraging to hear!  I had been having about 2-3 episodes of vertigo a month but have not had any in awhile.  However, it is so unpredictable.  The brain fog, imbalance, tinnitus and hearing loss are quite pronounced, in my case.  Your experience gives me hope!  I already have a vent tube which I required for a trial with the Meniett device, which didn't do anything for me.  I am also fearful of the dreaded vertigo and am looking forward to feeling like my previous self again!  Thanks!   Louise

• Posted

You're so very welcome, Louise! I've been there, and I understand the unpredictability and the misery. I'm so happy that you're going to give the steroids a try. I hope you'll keep us updated!

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Yes, I will definitely be providing an update!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.