Cold sore transmission

Posted , 2 users are following.

A man I see occasionally is blaming me for giving him a cold sore, because he has never had one before meeting me. I had a cold sore in late November. It healed and we caught up a week or so after it had healed. His cold sore appeared only a few days ago (3 months from our first contact after my cold sore). From what I've read, infection period/incubation is 4 to 12 days from contact, so I'm thinking it's impossible that my November cold sore is the cause of his March cold sore. He claims his doctor said that healed over cold sores can still be infectious and continues to blame me.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

So herpes is still contagious if a sore is present or just healing! it needs to be completely gone to not be a risk! the virus also has asymptomatic shedding! this means it sheds with out any symptoms a small percent of the year ( it is also unknown when this happens), so this is another transmisson risk!

The herpes virus is very hard to pin point were you got it from! It can live in your body for a long time without ever flairing up! most people are carriers and never have symptoms and this is how it spreads so easy! If he is kissing others or engaging in oral sex he could still get hsv1! as this is now a high rate in genital herpes and condoms are not 100% safe against transmisson!

So yes he could have got it from you, or he could have previously had it and got it from someone else, there is no way to know! But there should be no blaming, herpes is skin to skin and unfortunately its a risk we take getting close to someone and being human!! If he is consenting to kissing or a sex at he needs to he mature and not point fingers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.