Cold sores

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi can someone please give me advice got started on methotrexate a week ago the day I took it I felt sick but the day after I felt dreadful feeling sick, feeling exhausted and my joints were killing me. I now have a massive cold sore on my lip is this normal????

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tricia,

It can take a while for your body to get used to MTX and as it compromises your immune system, you may be slightly more susceptible to things. This should have also been explained to you before started taking it. I had 6 sides of a4 to read then sign a disclaimer before I could take it.

In terms of the sick feeling, I take 5mg folic acid 6 days a week. I don't take folic acid on the day that I take the MTX. MTX also inhibits the body's natural update of folic acid that you would find in food. If dispensed by the hospital, they are generally prescribed together. You could contact your doctor and ask if its possible to have some? Or mention it at your next appointment if you can wait that long?

Good luck??

• Posted

Hi Shaz

You need to be proactive with regard to cld sores,otherwise youll never get rid of them.

My method is a daily Lysine tablet&on the one occasion I felt one coming spread Boots cold sore lotion on affected area.

• Posted

The best advice will be to speak to your GP or Consultant for advice. There is lots of things that you can't take whilst on MTX. In my experience, the pharmacist has just referred me back to my GP.

• Posted

Hi Shaz I was told but I didn't have to sign anything I got 2 booklets to read. I take folic acid the day after I take methotrexate and that's it.

• Posted

Lysine is a vitamin,not a drug.One can refer to a doctor for afvise but the bottom line on metho os that it will cause coldsores&loss of hair unless one tkes precautions.Medics dw drugs not nutrition

• Posted

Speak to your Dr/Consultant about increasing it. My GP initially gave me the folic acid (6 days a week) but now I get it from the hospital at the same time as MTX. It really does help with the nausea.

Before I take anything extra, I always check with the Pharmacist first. They are pretty good and helpful. Sometimes they do just refer me straight back to the gp/consultant though.

Sometimes, things you think are ok aren't. Ibuprofen - no! You can get a flu vaccine though which is worth doing!

Oh and I find taking at night before bed helps too. Then if i don't feel so good most times i can sleep through it!

It helps keep my psoriasis under control but I am up to 25mg now.

That said, its Friday night - MTX night!!

Good luck! Xx

• Posted

Regardless, its worth double checking with Pharmacist/Gp/Consultant before taking anything with MTX.

Staff in a health food shop selling vitamins are not qualified to give that sort of advice about how vitamins will interact with powerful drugs, particularly those that affect your immune system.

• Posted

Hi. Did you have to increase the mtx dose to 25mg because it became less effective overtime? I've just started on mtx (month so far) and so far my skin psoriasis is clearing well but the joint pain/throbbing appears to have got more widespread and is worse just before taking the weekly dose.

• Posted

Unfortunatly this drug is also used in treating cancer so spots that will not heal, cold sores and other simalare things can affect you as for the pain the methotrexate is bringing down the immune system so it is not unusual to get worse before you get better. Or it could be that you are in a flare up and drug has nothing to do with it. Feeling sick is a side affect and I have a permanent sick feeling since I began taking this med worse on day of taking and following day try taking 1/2 dose morning 1/2 later I take it like that and it is not as bad as when I take it all in one go. I also take hydroxychlotoquine 2 daily I did not rralize how this was making my pain better untill I was taken to 1 daily absolute agony. I also have omeprazole to protect my stomach and help sick feeling. I have a lot of pain and tierdness as I have fybromyalgia or cronic pain syndrom as it is sometimes known so take a number of pills pain is hard to treat as it is subjective we all feel pain differently keep talking to the consultant or the nurse they are there to help.
  • Posted

There was a study done in 2010 that showed folic acid could sometimes help with methotrexate induced cold sores.  Call you doctor and ask about daily Folic Acid.  I take 4 mg a day.  They started me on 1 mg a day and it just wasn't enough.  My body doesn't genetically absorb it well.  The 4 mg translates into about 2 mg folic acid being absorbed and doesn't interfere with the methotrexate at all according to my doc. There is even a better form for absorption if this doesn't work according to his nurse. Of course, ask your doc for an opinion based on what you have going on.  And, as long as you are talking to the office, ask about Mucinex-DM. I was told to take that with the injection and 12 hours later to help with the "blehs".  I've looked it up and there is actually some research behind taking the DM part of it.  I just can't find the DM alone and it wasn't available to be prescribed where I am.

• Posted

I take Leucovorin 12 hours after taking methotrexate and again 24 hrs after taking methotrexate......it has definitely stopped my mouth/tongue sores.
    • Posted

I also take 5mg of folic acid 2x per day seven days a week. 
  • Posted

I take Leucovorin 12 hours after taking methotrexate and again 24 hours after taking methotrexate. This has almost totally eliminated me mouth/tongue sores.

• Posted

Ask your doctor to prescribe Leucovorin for cold and mouth sores. I take one 5mg 12 hours after taking methotrexate and one 5 mg 24 hours after taking methotrexate.  It has definitely controlled any sores that I previously had after each dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.