Skip to content

Methotrexate

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Now That Summer is Coming?

I've been on MXT weekly injection for a couple of months and thus far no major concerns. However, one of the things I read in the patient leaflet was to exercise caution regarding exposure to the sun. I'd be interested to hear what precautions other members take in this respect. I'm not a...

Last reply
  • Tips for avoiding hair loss on Methotrexate

Hi everyone, I have RA and have been taking Mtx for about 6 years. I take a high dose folic acid supplement every day apart from the day I take my Mtx. I am also on Humira injections every other week. When I ran out of folic acid a few years ago I lost masses of hair and (at the time) hadn't realised...

Last reply
  • MXT and breathlessness

Hello everyone. posting on behalf of my 85 year old mum who was diagnosed with RA some 3 years ago now. Mum also has emphysema and a few other conditions! mum has been taking 20mg of MXT weekly since the start and still has to take prednisolone albeit a smaller does that beforehand the MXT was started....

Last reply
  • MTX and foot neuropathy

Hi all -- I've been taking MTX for 3 years now for temporal arteritis and polymyopathy rheumatica (15 mg once a week). Just recently my chemo-induced foot neuropathy jumped to a whole new level after being stable for a year, to the point where I couldn't walk for a few hours after waking up....

Last reply
  • Hi

Hi I've just joined here. Nurse has just left after teaching me how to inject myself. I was on tablet form. Can anyone tell me how they get on with the injections and side effects?

Last reply
  • Family Guidance

My mother has been on mtx for 5 weeks (built up to four pills a week) due to a lupus related full body skin rash. The doctor just informed her that she will now need to increase her next dose to 8 pills a week, therefore doubling her amount instead of building up. Does anyone have any guidance on how...

Posted
  • methotrexate toxicity fatality

Dear Methotrexate Gang, Hi - I'm writing this post because my father has passed away from methotrexate toxicity in February. This cause of death has been officially confirmed. I'm in a state of shock and I really don't believe that the general public understand the severity or danger of...

Last reply
  • Methotrexate concerns

Methotrexate is a potent drug with many side effects. Even those on low doses normally report adverse reactions, often very unpleasant and adding to their other health problems rather than clearing them up. I was prescribed it, and stuck it out for a year before deciding that it was doing me more harm...

Last reply
  • weight gain and Methotrexate

I have using methotreate for almost 3 months I am on 20 mg once a week.... and I have now gained 10lbs.... I was wondering if this a common side effect for others..... thanks

Last reply
  • INCREASED PAIN from Methotrexate!!

I took my first dose of 6 - 2.5mg pills last night for my arthritis.  Woke up a few hours later in the most excruciating joint pain I have ever had--in EVERY joint including my knuckels of my fingers.  Anyone ever experience this crazy reaction to this medication??

Last reply
  • Methotrexate dermo use

Dermatologist put me on 15mg a week for uncontrolled eczema and hives. Haven’t ever seen posts on use of this for dermo issues .. anyone??

Posted
  • Methrotrexate

i started on MTX pen injections 5 weeks ago. My labs are stable. Looking good, feeling good. RA is simmering down. My only question is my urine seems to have an strong different odor to it. I do NOT have a uti at all. This has been happening since I have been on it. I contacted my Rheumatologist, but...

Posted
  • Feeling shaky and more breathless.

I've been on methotrexate now for 2 weeks, as well as prednisone 37.5mg, for PF caused by sarcoidosis. I started 2.5mg, 5mg, and due to take 7.5mg of the methotrexate tomorrow.  I didn't really notice any side effects after either does, apart from some headaches and being terribly drained...

Last reply
  • Headaches/joint pain

Hi. New to all of this. Started last Saturday on 10mg for Inflamatory Arthtitis. Getting terrible headaches and joint pain. Worse than what it was. Feels like I’ve been hit with a bus. There seems to be terrible side effects. Is it going to get better or is this it.  Cheers 

Last reply
  • Tiredness

I've been taking 15mg of methotrexate now for 2 weeks but my body is struggling with fatigue! I go to bed around 8 and sleeping by 9 and don't wake till 6:45 the following morning so I'm getting a decent sleep but by noon I'm struggling to keep my eyes open! Is there anything I can do...

Posted
  • New to methotrexate and struggling with the side effects

Hello, I started on methotrexate 5 weeks ago for SLE. I've been struggling with the nausea and tried taking my meds at bedtime last night instead of the morning but had the most horrific nightmares in between being sick 😔 It was really disturbing. Does anyone else suffer from this? I've...

Last reply
  • Methotrexate

Help!  My 10 year old daughter has recently started on methotrexate due to having juvenile idiopathic arthritis  She takes 15mg split over 2 days to help minimise side effect.  She had her 2nd dose this weekend but suffered from really bad headache and just seemed to drain all her energy ...

Last reply
  • Methotrexate and alcohol

Hi there, I've only yesterday started on my methotrexate tablets and have just started reading the online forums and have became very worried! The number of people who are losing their hair seems incredible, is this a common side effect? I'm 23 years old and drinking and work in a bar while...

Last reply
  • Nausea

Have been on methotrexate injections for 2years.For the last two months have been nauseous in the hours running up to the injection. Am I the only one to get it before rather than afterwards?

Last reply
  • Nausea

Am I just weird.For the last two months I have suffered from bad nausea for ~8hrs before my methotrexate injection is due.Has anyone else had this problem?

Posted
  • Taking Methotrexate

Just started on Methotrexate my doctor has recommended 2.5 mg over 4 days folic acid in-between A lot of people take it all in one go Why do you think I have been recommended to take it over 4 days

Last reply
  • Methotrexate - First Days

Now into my second week of methotrexate injections and thought I would share the experience so far. My first injection was accompanied by a long wait for blood tests to be done as these hadn't been organised prior to injection day. The next thing was to dispell the image of a huge hypodermic syringe...

Posted
  • Methotrexate

I've just been diagnosed with chronic multifocal osteomyelitis at the age of 27 and they are starting me on treatment with methotrexate. I was just wondering how this effects most people and if I will be able to continue to work my full time job, any information would be great

Last reply
  • Methotrexate and the cold/flu season

Hi, I’ve been on Methotrexate for 17 months tablets initially and 20mg injections since October 2016. I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I had a viral infection which started mid December and my temperature was high (39.2 C) GP advised to stop my Methotrexate until it subsided. My temp returned...

Last reply
  • Methotrexate and memory loss

I am on my second week of methotrexate which was prescribed for sero negative inflammatory arthritis. I am finding it hard to string a sentence together. It's word retrieval that is the problem. Not ideal for a journalist! Is this a known side effect of methotrexate?

Last reply
  • Cold sores

Hi can someone please give me advice got started on methotrexate a week ago the day I took it I felt sick but the day after I felt dreadful feeling sick, feeling exhausted and my joints were killing me. I now have a massive cold sore on my lip is this normal????

Last reply
  • Scared of methroxate

Hi all I've been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis disease , I started 7.5 mg of methroxate, I'm so worried about side effects and looking my hair !

Last reply
  • Drinking and Methotrexate

I'm curious to peoples opinions on this. I'm in the US and the guidelines are so strict compared to the UK. I'm on once a week 7.5 mg. I have cut back to only a couple drinks on the weekend. I just want to be able to drink or have a drink when I want. I'm tempted to switch drug so I can...

Last reply
  • Methotrexate for Lymphocytic Colitis

I've been diagnosed with LC which thus far only responds to steroid treatment. Having exhausted many alternatives (e.g. balsalazide, etc.) I am starting 2018 with the prospect of going on to methotrexate. Reading the advice relating to this drug is really daunting, if not down right scary. No alcohol,...

Last reply
  • Methotrexate, Shortness of Breath and Increased Heart Rate

On Friday, I got up from my desk to make the short walk to the toilet, after which I was a complete mess, I couldn't catch my breath, I was sweating and my heart was pounding. I took myself to the company first aider who recorded my pulse at 98bpm. She recommended I went to the doctor which I did...

Last reply
  • Missed dose problem

missed my dose of Methotrexate yesterday. From lunchtime today I am in agony, my hand wrist elbow shoulder shoulder blade are swollen and very very painful. Don’t feel well either. Not sure if this is connect to the missed dose. Any help very much appreciated. I have RA.  Thanks

Posted
  • Methotrexate

Has anyone had any success in coming off MTX with the help of healthy diet and vitamins?

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.