Methotrexate, Shortness of Breath and Increased Heart Rate

Posted , 11 users are following.

On Friday, I got up from my desk to make the short walk to the toilet, after which I was a complete mess, I couldn't catch my breath, I was sweating and my heart was pounding. I took myself to the company first aider who recorded my pulse at 98bpm. She recommended I went to the doctor which I did on Friday.

The doctor performed an ECG, which, as I was very calm, revealed nothing. He also mentioned that in rare cases, methotrexate can cause fibrosis of the lungs. He has referrerred me to the hospital to have a chest scan to see if anything is amiss.

I am now struggling around the house, activities such as walking up the stairs leave me gasping for breath and my heart feeling like it's going to punch through my chest. The upper part of my chest tightens and I struggle to get a good lung full of air. I also get light headed during these \"episodes\".

I've been on 15mg of oral methotrexate for almost 8 years, the last 12 months on injections.

Has anybody had such side-effects as these? I'm hoping it can be attributed to the methotrexate as I've finished it now and am about to begin cyclosporin instead so we can consider starting a family.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was taking methotrexate oral 15 mg weekly but went on to inections as the tablets made me feel sick, after about 6 weeks I started having rapid heart beats and an anxious feeling, the consultant said it was not the methotrexate , anyway I came off it for 6 weeks and the rapid heart beats disappeared. I was again put back on it Again and low and behold they are back again, i cannobelieve this is a coincidence . I have an appointment with consultant in two weeks again. I just wondered if anyone else has had this with methotrexate.
  • Posted

Hi I have been on methotrexate for 8 weeks now and have experienced shortness of breath for at least 8 days. I am going to see the doctor next Tuesday. I get very exhausted and cannot walk up the stairs without feeling SOB. I take methotrexate for inflammatory arthritis. My heart rate has increased as well and I am coughing a lot. I also have heard that methotrexate can cause fibrosis of the lungs. I hope you feel better soon and that you find out what is the cause. I suspect that it is the methotrexate, I tried sulphasalazine but could not tolerate it as it suppressed my appetite and caused terrible nausea.
  • Posted

Hi, I take Methotrexate 20mg injection since last September. I also have Auto Immune Hypothyrodism (150mg thyroxine daily). For the past 2/3 weeks I have really struggled to catch my breath. I could be sitting at the table trying to eat, walking up the garden or just watching TV, I also have this silly dry cough. I do get chest pain when I've struggled for a while and start sighing and yawning to get more air. Went to GP who sent me for X-ray, gave me steroids and ventilin pump. Eased slightly, but still there - waiting for results of X-ray. I think this sounds similar, it is scary when it happens and I find I have to do some self relaxation and controlled breathing. I hope you get it sorted out - be persistent. Good wishes to you.
  • Posted

Hi, this is my first time on here. 

I have had RA for at least 4 years but diagnosed in feb 2016. I started on methotrexate 11 weeks ago. Started with .06 injections. I felt bad but wasn't aware that the shot was making me ill. 2weeks ago I called dr to tell him i was in the same or worse pain than before my shots. He then increased my shot to 1cc. That was last Wednesday. I felt a tight chest and short of breath also my upper stomach was bloted  and it hurt. I didn't say anything about it untill my shot this week. Wow, this week immediately I felt like someone was sitting on my chest, I could hardly breath and my stomach is worse. My Dr took me of food it. But it isn't a very bad and deadly side effect. I'm so glad to be off this. No way I have to go on another pill. I'll  find out later about what it is. Thank s for reading😊

• Posted

My dad had the same side effects, but his were very severe, and ended up being fatal - I am so glad that you are no longer on the medication.  My dad's case was extreme - and we didn't receive any warning to take him off the medication if he got bresathless.

• Posted

My dad died after being put on methotrexate for Rheumatoid arthritis - the drug destroyed his lungs.  So glad you came off the medication as we didn't know that it was affecting his lung function until it was too late!

• Posted

I have been on the methotrexate for arthritis for a month. I am experiencing the same thing. I even went to my local doctor to have my heart checked. EKG and blood pressure were fine. I have read that one of the side effects is shortness of breathe and chest pain. Not pleasant. I've got a call into my rheumatologist.

• Posted

Hi carolyn, I hope you stopped taking the methotrexate if you had breathing problems?
  • Posted

Methotrexate for psoriasis?. My doctor suggested taking 8 2.5mg pills once a week. After I take them, I begin to have breathing problems. It feels like someone is sitting on my chest or I'm being squeezed by a boa constrictor snake. I'm 52, 218 pounds and swim 5 days a week and walk 2 hours each weekend. I also work alot at work. I'm in good shape, but have problems preforming my job at work and I can't swim for more that 2 laps before needing a rest. Psoriasis?? is almost completly gone! . The Methotrexate, Shortness? of breath lasts 3-4 days after I take the 8 pills as prescribed. I'm now trying to get on another medication called Otezla.... 

• Posted

Hi stu, you are right to come off methotrexate having shortness of breath.  Have you seen your consultant?  It might be nothing and I don't want to panic you but you should contact them as soon as possible if you have breathing problems.

• Posted

I have also heart palpations and shortness of breath. Does this get better the longer you stay on the medicine?
  • Posted

I was put on this medication a month ago and on Tuesday i noticed i was becoming short of breath. I thought my asthma was acting up, well on Wednesday i still had to use my albuterol more. As i was thinking back i thought about all that was happen i to think its this medication. I'm waiting to hear back from my RA doctor. I'm hoping there's no damage already dealing with lung issues. I'm praying for all of us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.