My Dr put me on Methotrexate to combat the horrible weight gain from ongoing steroids for my lungs

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have 3rd stage COPD, chronic respiratory failure & many severe pain issues. Ive been on 10mg Prednisone for the last 2 years. I gained about 30 lbs, mostly in my face, neck & belly. My lung Dr said he was going to put me on Methotrexate to combat the weight gain & he said it COULD help my lungs. Well, in the last 4-5 months Ive lost 38 lbs & my eating (once a day with a piece of fruit as a snack so the weight loss has to be because of the M. Sadly, Im not losing in my face/neck- just seems to be around my waist. I used to be a selfie queen & have done everything to avoid them now- even on my cruise in Nov!!

Im on a low dose, 5mg two days/week. Ive been very nauseated, mostly when i first wake up & have been vomitting- not all the time but ENOUGH, Ive got tons of bruises for no reason & all of a sudden have lots of vericose veins in my legs. Ive had a bunch of mouth sores also that lasted a few weeks. Has anyone had these experiences? Oh, my Dr did put me on Folic Acid also. Sorry this was so wordy!! ☮

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have Rheumotoid Arthritis and am also on Methotrexate which unfortunately has nasty side effects....the nausea and mouth sores. I also take folic acid as this is supposed to keep mouth sores/blisters at bay.

The prednisone is the reason why you are not losing weight in your face. I take prednisone but only when I really have to. Taking prednisone continuously gives you "moon face"...swelling of the face.

I take 10mg Methotrexate one a week, folic acid every day and then other meds for RA (Plasmoquine)

The prednisone I take only when I have a lot of joint pain.

Try taking a nausea tablet half an hour before you take the methotrexate to help with nausea and vomiting.

Hope this help you a little

• Posted

Hi, I don't wish to alarm you but my dad was on methotrexate and it destroyed his lungs, it killed him. Having said that, he was over 80, and he had a bad heart anyway and we didn't know, so that could also have contributed. I would certainly go and see your doctor about the other symptoms. Is your breathing any better now?

• Posted

I have taken methotrexate (25 mg per week) and prednisone (15 to 60 mg per day) for the last 8 years. The mouth sores are caused by prednisone. I take 1 mg of folic acid per day and it keeps those away for me. I have gradually seen increase in varicose veins over the years but didn't know which drug to equate it with. I only experienced moon face at prednisone doses over 30 mg per day. But your size and weight may have a lot to do with that. I weigh 200 lbs, so a higher dose may be required for the same symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.