Methotrexate dermo use

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dermatologist put me on 15mg a week for uncontrolled eczema and hives. Haven’t ever seen posts on use of this for dermo issues .. anyone??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking oral MTX for extreme eczema.   Lots of nausea so they are switching me to injections.  Hoping no nausea with this.  
  • Posted

I have been on methotrexate for my etopic eczema for about 8 months.  Started off at 10 mg and have been recently upped to 12.5mg per week.  I have not had any issues that I know about.  I am still able to drink as I was and I have no other known side effects.   Went on holiday recently as I usually suffer from PLE which is like prickly heat in the sun but i had no issues this year which was great.   I have a regular blood test every four weeks and have regular appointments with the dermatologist every three months.   
  • Posted

i have used methotrexate for about 6 years started on low dose , but know take 25mg by injection, i have acute atopic eczema and have had this since was 5 and know 48 , this is the only medication that has worked for me . luckily i dont suffer from any side effects.. only thing is if get a cold or infection tends to last lot longer than normal 
    • Posted

Thank you for info.. I am 67 and the last 5 years my atopic dermo has been worsening . I had 4/5 severe infections due to the dermo . So far, 4 months in I have seen marked improvement . No side effects. Has your md indicated how long you could continue on methotrexate ? Like all drugs, I’m sure at some point usage will become an issue . Also , are there any studies you know of for long term dermo use ?

Thanks 

• Posted

my consultant said probably be for life, only problem i had is that if i get a cold or any infection can get quite bad if dont go see doctor asap , had pneumonia twice and just started as a cold . i have tried everything over years some remedies have worked for short peroids but never as well as methotrexate. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.