Methotrexate or Sulfasalazine?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello Everyone,

I have not posted for some months but now would very much like your views. I was diagnosed with RA 8 years ago while living in Spain and treated with Methotrexate, the dose gradually reducing successfully over the years. I returned to the UK over 1 year ago and was told that the NHS does not regard the low dose I was taking as therapeutic and it was stopped. I have now reached the stage where I need to commence medication for my RA again and Methotrexate or Sulfasalazine has been suggested.I am reluctant to start again with Methotrexate on a much stronger dose and so I am considering Sulfasalazine. Has anyone had success with this drug? There do not seem to be so many side effects although I am aware that the medication is taken twice daily.

Thanks.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.