Cold spell

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, it's been 8 months since I had my TRK, we have had really cold spell, close to 3 degrees. Of course as I live in Colorado. My knee becomes stiffness, hot rash feeling, hot to touch, spasms, pain. I stay indoors all day, it's hurts so bad that it lasted about 3-4 hrs to warm up back to normal.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Almost 8 months since my LTKR, I noticed the snow and cold weather also makes my leg and knee stiff and difficult to move. Leg warmers, sometimes doubled up when it's especially cold help keep muscles warm and relaxed. Warm Epsom salt baths for stretching exercises in the water help too. We must be getting the cold front from Colorado in the mountains of Virginia. It will be going down to 10 at night this week. Stay warm...

• Posted

I am at almost 5 months tkr. And yes the cold weather and snow makes my knee cold and stiff too. I miss my walks when it is soo darn cold outside. I live in Nevada. We been having a cold spell here.
  • Posted

Move.  Really.  I had a hip replaced in New Jersey in 2009.  Went one winter with that bad boy and moved to Fort Worth the next summer when my job situation changed.  I had also had four knee ops (two each side) and was on Synvisc for 5-6 years knowing I'd need a TKR sooner or later.  After the move in 2010, I needed NOTHING for SIX YEARS until it got to where I couldn't avoid it at age 68.  Between hip, knee and two spine fusions, I have over 4 1/2 pounds of metal in me.  There is zero chance that I could tolerate cold winters.  On a positive note, you are now your family's official weatherman...

• Posted

I sure am a weatherman to my family. Lol! A friend told me her surgeon said to put Sarah wrap around and then wrap ace bandage around on top of it. It supposed to keep heat around the knee. Didnt know about it but I will give it a try.
    • Posted

Just ordered 4 more pairs of heavy cable knit long leg warmers that cover most of the leg above knee to ankle. It helps a lot!
    • Posted

Wrap TEXAS or ARIZONA around your knee...  Down here, they start planting flowers in the highway medians on FEBRUARY FIRST!!!  Screw New Jersey...screw the cold weather.  This is waaaaaaaay better....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.