Cold turkey amitryptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello 

I am suffering terribly from cold turkey off of 50 mg amitryptyline about 5 weeks ago. I went cold turkey due to intolerable ringing and other various seroius side effects at the time. I was on 50 mg for approx 4 years and doing ok on that dosage until I developed some very unusual symptoms. My worst withdrawal symptom (it’s all really really bad) is the near constant dizziness which leaves my head feeling as if it’s bobbing around on my neck. Can anyone please reassure me that this will pass? I am finding it extremely  difficult to function at all. The dizziness seems to be a bit better this week but worsens in the evenings it seems and when I lie down. It’s as if my brain is kind of ping ponging off my skull in the back. Neck extreme tension and head pressure etc ear pain. It’s all horrific. Any advice or reassurance that I will get better would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer I have only just seen you post.  Are things improving for you at all

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard 

I am not doing well at all. Tried to reinstate at 12.5 mg but making me dizzier. Not sure what to do sad 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

I really feel for you as I too am experiencing some unpleasant symptoms.  Was taking 20 mg for insomnia but so sleepy during the day, blurred vision, bad dizzy, ringing in ears, feeling edgy and unsettled.  Slowly over the past week reduced to 15 mg then 10 mg and tonight I have nibbled a bit off that, so probably about 8-9 mg.  But today nothing had changed, all the symptoms still there, I am just hoping that reducing the dosage will mean over time that it works out of the system. I think it is not for me and maybe not for you by the sound of it. Don't know why you were prescribed but maybe ask your GP for a different medication for your condition. I really hope things get better for you.

Richard

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, you need to give your body time to adjust, going cold turkey and then going back on them is going to make you feel terrible. You could also be sensitive to these meds. I too am coming off them, and have had similar side effects from taking them. Its taken me six months to get to 2.5mg and each time two weeks to feel semi normal again, these mess with your brain and nervous system, and withdrawal starts quickly. Get lots of rest, try and ride through this, please speak to a doctor and know in time it will pass. I strongly advise you not to keep changing your doses quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer

I know its been a while since you posted, how are you feeling now?

I am too scared to go cold turkey on these and am tapering slowly and am on my last 2.5mg. Hope you are feeling much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.