Cold turkey from codeine and morphine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I’ve decided to quit codeine and morphine. I started to take it following an operation that went wrong, but after not being in pain I was still taking it as I liked the feeling it gave me and blocked out my depression it’s now a year down the line and I was still taking it, I decided 5 days ago it quit cold turkey and it’s been hell I can’t sleep I feel sick, sweating, restless legs and most of all I feel like I want to kill myself. I had tried before to taper down when to see the doctor it nether worked! Please is there anyone who can give me advice I can’t take not sleeping and just want this thing over and done with! The first few days I stopped the codeine and morphine I took two tramadol for the first two days to help with withdrawal but didn’t take any yesterday so this is day two with no tramadol and day 5 now of no codeine and morphine. I feel so depressed! Is there anyone who knows how long this lasts and when will I be able to sleep and function normally? I went to a&e yesterday but they was no help, I see my mental health team the they prescribed me lorazepam 1mg for a week. Any advice will be much appreciated thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there it really starts getting better after two weeks the first 3 days are the worst I think every time you have a depressed thought you need to try to think of something different I know it easier said than done I'm on my 25 th day coming off suboxone same symptoms as your having my symptoms are supposed to last longer and I'm starting to feel normal again I look back now and it doesn't seem that bad but when it was happening I sure felt bad depression to me was the worst thing to deal with taking to positive people helps stay away from negative people I go for a lot of drives listen to a lot of music baths really help ib prophet helps Tylenol be careful taking sleeping meds it can make restless legs worse Benadryl makes it worse too baths baths baths I took 6 baths a night I just left the water in the tub and would add hot epsom salt drinking a lot of water keep a fan on at night when you can't sleep take a bath then lay down I'd sleep 1 hour at a time but you need rest force your self to try not to take short cuts 

• Posted

I just want to say well done to making it to day 25! That’s amazing. What do u mean by short cuts? The tramadol? I am a Christian and believing in god and praying is the positive I have I listen to the bible on my phone when I’m really down! I can’t take not sleeping and the cold sweats are awful! I fell asleep at 6pm last night after taking the lorazepam and woke up at 12am so I got up had a bath done some ironing. I must have fell back to sleep at 6am then on up at 9:30am thanks for your advice x
  • Posted

Hey Chelsea. Thanks for sharing. The advice I can give you is that you're or close to being over the worst symptoms. I went cold Turkey off codeine+paracetamol or ibuprofen+ codeine a few months ago due to becoming a script only product in Australia. I was taking ridiculous amounts leading to dependance and addiction very quickly. I was embarrassed so only ever discussed here and my family where aware I was ill but not the true reason. All I can say is please know there's light at the end of this dark passage and you're almost out. Thinking of you and hope you're feeling a tad better than first posting

• Posted

Hiya I just want to say well done for getting off it all it’s so hard but seeing your reply that this will get better gives me great hope! I just can’t wait for it to be over I miss the person I was before I started taking the pills and I’m doing this for my partner and kids and also myself I feel a lot better today but it might have something to do with the lorazepam thanks so much for your advice x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.