Cold turkey off tramadol

Posted , 10 users are following.

my husband is going through hell he has been off Tamadol for about three week. Does  anyone know how long it takes to feel better. One of the worst things he is suffering is no sleep and gastric problems. He also looks like he is going to topple over when he walks. He is also very bad tempered I feel like running away he is driving me mad!!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Has he weaned off gradually? I had awful problems when I stopped quickly. He may need to go back on and wean off, I think it took me 6 weeks! Good luck! 
  • Posted

I think it depends on how long he's been on it, and the dosage.

I was on very low dosage for a week or so after a hip operation, and I felt horrible with it (like morphine withdrawl symptoms), and then very ratty for a few days after stopping it.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

You poor thing.  Has he stopped completely or is he coming off them a little at a time?  If he has just stopped, then yes he is in for a rough time and could potentially make himself very sick indeed. The best way is for him to come of them slowly.Takes longer but his quality of life would be better (as would yours).  By the sounds of things he has gone cold turkey.  It will take a while for the drug to leave his system.  He needs to drink lots of fluid which will help flush his system.  Tramadol, like most opiates, makes one constipated.  Coming off them; his insides are making up for lost time.  There is no hard and fast way round this now, except for things to run their course, another month max and he should be back to normal.  I really feel sorry for you at this time, but apart from kind words.... Do you have friends to turn to.  Publicly, I am not going to say anything inflammatory, except (female to female) think of 'man flu'. You are a strong person, understand he is in a bad way right now, but he should not be taking it out on you.  Get him to go a steam room or sauna.  Sweating will help. Herbal tea at night (unless he is willing to take sleeping pills). Give him space, be tough with him, if nothing else, to let him know his behaviour is not to be tolerated, but at the same time let him know you are there for him.  You need support as much as he does.

I hope what I have written makes sense.   It is hard for you to be on the sidelines, watching your husband "disintegrate" but he will get through it. As will you xxx

• Posted

I did cold turkey for nine days before I was told I should be tapering slowly. But I didnt want to start up again, so I toughed it out. The advice you get from us will be conflicting at times. But I did cold turkey and I agree with the steam room, herbal tea, get him an antidiahrreal med. Lots of water and scalp massage can help him to relax. I am three months in and suddenly feel crappy again, but I am having more surgery next week and having anxiety about that. Best wishes. Oh another thing. Show him this forum. He may be able to handle things better knowing he is not alone.
    • Posted

It will take ages for the chemicals to leave your body + the neurons in your brain to stop firing off signals.  Don't get too stressed over your impending surgery and recovery.  You will be fine. You are brave
  • Posted

I was on 500 mg a day for years, that's 10 caps a day. I came off several times cold turkey and the worst is over after 7 or 8 days but it's not easy at all. I have now been off them 2 years and don't even think about them now,  the thought of another withdrawal horrifies me and is enough to keep me clean. Weaning yourself off this stuff  takes for ever and you will have lots of mini withdrawals anyway, best to choose a time when you can have a week to yourself, lock the doors, take the phone off the hook, bite the bullet and sit it out. After a week you will start to get to a managale state, a few days after that you will feel virtually normal. I have done it many times. The one thing that will make your withdrawal a lot easyer in my experieance is kratom, if its legal where you live. 
    • Posted

That stuff seems to be one poison curing another. However, I am having difficulty with Tramadol. While taking it, it was the best I ever felt in my entire life. Now, just the opposite. Can I ever have it again and not misuse it?? WTF?? HELP!!
    • Posted

Kratom is poison. Sorry if I replied a second time (weird emails from this site) but anyone reading this....take a minute to Google this before purchasing!!!!
  • Posted

Steve1953: Such a good story of hope for us. I find myself in a different place now. I miss the awesome effects of Tramadol. I had energy, optimism, happiness, I lost a well needed 20 lbs., upbeat, all good. Now, three months cold turkey clean and ugghh. Down, depressed, nerve zaps, up five pounds so far.... Freaking horrible.
    • Posted

You took Tramadol for a GOOD reason.  It interferes with your neural system.  It stops the nerve endings telling your brain you are in pain.  Now you are no longer in pain and that same neural system is saying what the hell are you doing??? They are fizzing around in your brain, making you feel like crap.  Drink plenty of water, not so much that you flush out all the naturally occuring minerals in your body.  Don't up your sugar level, increase your greens (kale & spinach are good).  If you have gone cold turkey the feelings will be extreme and just when you think you are over them, they come back time and time again.  This will eventually cease.  The best way is to come off them slowly; half a tab (if that) at a time, until you get used to it, then come down another step.  Your body will thank you.  Unfortunately there is nothing manufactured to date that is as good or as strong or effective as opiates.

BE STRONG GUYS and GIRLS.  You will get there, try to avoid extra stress as you are fragile.

If you ever need to take strong pain killers in the future, do so. Don't be afraid, just take on board the experience you are going through now and tweak it.

• Posted

Steve1953: Such a good story of hope for us. I find myself in a different place now. I miss the awesome effects of Tramadol. I had energy, optimism, happiness, I lost a well needed 20 lbs., upbeat, all good. Now, three months cold turkey clean and ugghh. Down, depressed, nerve zaps, up five pounds so far.... Freaking horrible.
    • Posted

I was three months cold turkey and doing great except for weight gain I coulndt get rid of....so tiny on tramadol...thought i could just restart a little to drop weight....after such a long and difficult withdrawal I never thought I would be so stupid....here I am about to go cold turkey again....a few pounds is nothing compared to this monkey on my back
  • Posted

I have 2 compressed nerves in my back and was taking Vicodin, but was switched to Tramadol and then later added Gabapentin. I stopped taking them both a couple days ago when I got a Cortisone shot and all the pain was gone. Now I feel like I want to crawl out of my own skin, can't sleep, irritable, horrible hot flashes (partly from Cortisone), anxiety- aagghhh. I wish I had known to taper off- but I wonder if I should go back on them and taper off- I HATE to start them again but- this feeling is truly awful. Any suggestions from anyone???
    • Posted

There is nothing wrong in going back on them and then tapering off.  That's what your doctor should have told you.  You cannot be expected to just stop! Please don't take this the wrong way but, if I start a course of meds for a period of time, my doctor always says how long I should be on them and that when I'm ready to stop, to ease off them; not just stop there and then. Why can't all meds tell their patients this important information and also remind their patients to read the info sheet inside each packets of pills.  It is very remiss of them to expect you to suffer this way. Just make sure they don't contradict with the cortisone.  Also make a note of when you had the shot, so that just when it starts to wear off; you can have another one BEFORE the pain starts to increase.

Please don't be offended by my little rant, it was not directed at you. It is that I can't believe so many doctors in todays society allow their patients to suffer.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much- I did start back on so I can taper off- I wish my doc had told me that this drug is an opiod- so it acts just the same as an opiate- no more horrible nights- and no more Tramadol!!!
    • Posted

I think they assume we know.  As soon as they mention "I'm going to prescribe (something stronger than ibuprofen/paracetamol)..” Unfortunately they do work.  We just have to be stronger when it is time to come off them.  Your doctor should always be aware what you are taking and when it is time to come off.  Then they can help you.  You are now at this stage, so make sure she/he gives you the support you deserve. 

I have reduced my zomorph; so I do know what you are going through x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.