Cold turkey on ssri

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started medicines for depression from may 15. I was on escitalopram 10mg and clonezepam 0.5 mg. By Dec end I felt I had recovered. I skipped days in Jan and by mid Jan went cold turkey. I was perfectly fine until mid Feb when I felt weird and anxious again. I am having sleep issues, stomach problems. Is it withdrawal? Should I go back to the meds?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey! Back in september i went through something similar. I started on cymbalta and i started to feel really good by the end of 4/5 weeks, and i was riding a manic high and didn't know it. So, me being me i decided to quit taking cymbalta and i crashed SUPER hard and did a lot of things i'm still trying to fix up now. I suggest you talk with a doctor. It took me a solid month and a half to visit mine and everyday i felt worse and worse (stomach pains, headaches, nausea.) A doctor will probably be your safest bet because he can either prescribe you something different or advise you to recontinue your meds. I'm not a doctor myself but i would think that dumping ssri into your body then stopping, then dumping more would probably send your body into a little bit of a shock.

So, yeah. See a doctor!!

Take care!

• Posted

Hey. What was your dose like? and how are you now? Did u start the medicines again? Take care.
    • Posted

I was taking 30mg per day/for (what was supposed to be) 45 Days to "test the waters with SSRI's. Like i said i went off for about a month and a half to two months. I'm on 50mg of Zoloft per day/for another 45( today is day 30-something.) Honestly I don't feel much better or worse than when i started taking cymbalta, i do all though get random stomaches, KILLER migranes, nausea, and lately i have not been able to sleep all that much. (in the last week i've slept 15-18 hours.) I'm actually kind of scared that maybe i'm not "just depressed" and i might be bipolar and SSRI's aren't a good mix for me, but my doctor said he needs me to do atleast six weeks on SSRI's (because apparently thats when they really start working.) before we explore any other options.

But please don't let what i say stop you from seeing a professional, if i hadn't of stopped my meds i'd like to think i wouldn't of came close to killing myself and dumping all my baggage on my bestfriend i can't even talk or work up the courage to see anymore. It's hypocritical for me to say this because 90% of the time i don't do it, but if you need help, have concerns. get help and talk to somebody who YOU KNOW can help.

• Posted

hi you need to stay on ad's untl you have felt better for at least 6 months.  Before you come off them you need to speak to a professonal for their advice and come off them slowly under guidance.  

It sounds like you have come off them too soon so I would go back to your doctor. x

• Posted

I dont think withdrawls occur almost two months later. Probably whatever issues you had might have returned making you return to square one. Meds are not the only avenue to feel better. As a last resirt yes makes sense. Its a mind set that gets you through this stuff. It really is. Mindfullness techniques and cbt,medt, edmr so much out there. It is a mind set. Think about anything in your life once you have committed to change something or stop something you can do it with ease. Its the same with anxiety but really needs a complete committment to changing.mindfullness rewires the brain so you can retrain it to be calmer. Science has since prooven that through  Mris. No quick fix to happiness. No happy pills exist either. Its a mindset

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.