Cold weather and copd

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi new to the forum. I was diagnosed with copd two years ago and use a serovent inhaler twice a day and have a ventolin for back up. This is my second winter since being diagnosed and the cold weather seems to be affecting me more this year. My spiro test in January showed a slight improvement but generally l feel more breathless and l wondered if maybe l should ask for a change of inhaler. Does anyone know of an alternative to serovent or is it just the weather making me feel worse. Many thanks. mags

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello margaret90, the weather does affect lungs and breathing in my experience. In UK the temperatures this winter have been on average far colder than last winter, so that may well account for you noticing things are more difficult this winter.

Keep taking your medicine as prescribed. Generally speaking if you have a worsening of symptoms you should check back with your doctor, especially if you feel your prescribed medication is no longer working for you.

The following link provides a few tips in taking care in cold weather:

http://www.nhslocal.nhs.uk/story/features/top-tips-looking-after-your-lungs-winter

Glad to be of help.

• Posted

The page links below offer comprehensive information about treatment, the types of medication used and on the medicines info tab you will find a list of medicines that may be prescribed, your consultant or GP will be able to advise you on alternative medications that may or may not be suitable for you.

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/Pages/Treatment.aspx

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/Pages/MedicineGuidePage.aspx

Happy reading smile

wink

• Posted

hi welcome margaret90 good idea going back talking with doc about inhalers if they are not stopping breathless trying something stronger than mild asthma meds that show they are'nt working in cold weather.

• Posted

I think it is really important to dress correctly in cold weather. You lose a lot of heat through your head so a warm hat is important. Also have a warm scarf rounf your neck and possibly a scarf or something suitable over your nose to warm the air as you breath it in.

I find olbas oil can help with that awful initial breathlessness. I always carry one with me and have one in the house.

I hope any of those suggestions help it a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.