Colds

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.. i was just wondering if any one else suffers more colds than usual with hypo? I had a gum infection 3 weeks ago after a couple of days it went then my glands swelled up and i got cold.. but i just can't seem to get rid of this nasal congestion.. its driving me crazy.. can anyone help.. thanks bev

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beverley,

I have found I seem more susceptible to colds while having low thyroid days/weeks. Before I was diagnosed I was always getting what felt like the start of a cold - body aches, tired, glands swelling etc. but only once did it go into a full blown cold. Since starting mediation this hasnt happened up until recently where I think I need to increase my medication possibly. But its very frustrating! I wasnt sure if it was to do with hypothyroidism but as I said when my medication was as a good level that seemed to stop.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

I suffered at various times with persistent sinus and ear infections, coinciding with flares of hypothyroidism.

I've now come full circle and suspect the sinus and ear infections may contribute substantially to hypothyroid disease.

If you think about it, the massive inflammation and clogged eustachian tubes would create enough inflammation in the neck area to irritate the thyroid gland, or hinder distribution of thyroxin.

I've recently realized I've had long term ear and sinus infections, and am working to clear those up in the hopes of taking one more step towards hypothyroid remission.

I have also seen many posts from patients who ask if others experience dizziness or flu symptoms when they first start taking levothyroxin.

• Posted

I had this problem in the late 90'/early 2000's until I had my goitre removed and then it suddenly improved. It was so much colds as throat infections or chest infections. Much more recently it crept back and I had 2 really bad throat infections last year which went on for weeks. Since then my Levo dose has been reduced and I haven't had any infections in 2018 so far.

• Posted

thanks everyone. . katejo.. do you think my levo is too high?? um only on 50mg.. apart from the nasal congestion i feel fine for once.. has anyone know any remedies that could help. .. i cant sleep as i keep waking up with such a dry mouth its driving me crazy 😣😣

• Posted

I don't know I'm afraid. some symptoms can occur if it is too high or too low.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.