COLESTID -- TELL ME YOUR STORIES. DOC JUST GAVE ME SCRIPT.

Posted , 3 users are following.

i need as much information as I can get about this med. I'm afraid to take it.

thanx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Bile Acid Mal absorption.  I was misdiagnosed with IBS in Nov. 2016 and have been on a roller coast ride with my bathroom ever since.  I do not have a gall bladder.  I have been experiencing the symptoms of IBS -a (with d and semi sold stool that looks different every time.  The reason I chatted with 3 physicians about this is that I suffer from a burning sensation across my lower abd with pain from hip to hip and after almost every bm, feels as tho someone took a blow torch to my anus (sorry for the candid reply).  Sorry I should have explained this in my initial post.  Do you have experience with this med?  Doc gave me script for the tablets but there is NO WAY I can swallow them so have not taken any.  I'm afraid of them.  I've asked for the powder form but he (gastro) has not responded as yet.  I just don't know what to expect.  Any info is appreciated.

• Posted

If you have problems swallowing the tablet, soak it in water for a few minutes and then take it out and swallow it with a large glass of water if the medication is an ordinary tablet.  I find this trick stops my throat from spasming.  If it is in a plastic capsule, open it up and put the powder into a glass of water.  Alternatively, you could ask your doctor for an equivalent medication in powder form or see if you can get Colestid as a powder.

Sorry you got misdiagnosed.  However, IBS D and Bile acid Malabsorption are often confused.  BAM is often triggered by gallbladder removal.

• Posted

Hi pippa:   I just couldn't deal with the tablets so I messaged my doc and he put in new script (my insurance will not cover the same med within a 30 days period -- not even the powder form). So he called in script for colestyramine.  I'm hoping to God this work because I"m again in bed with the cramps and you know what comes next.

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm so happy to be a part of this community.  Hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Colestyramine does help with Bile Acid Malabsorption.  Many people benefit.
    • Posted

I sure hope I'm one of them.  We'll see. 

Thanx again for your replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.