Colistin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed nebulised Colistin for Pseudomona infections?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have one with a similar name, Colomycin which I have been on for about 9 months now for PA. It is a powder which I mix with Saline solution. I am supposed to take twice a day, but I only take once now as the second dose affected my breathing in the night.

I am 74 years old and have longstanding BX which has worsened over the years. I take other meds. too and along with postural drainage I manage to cope quite well.

Tell me how you have found your medication.

• Posted

Stella-Thank you. I think these are the same drugs. I have not yet started taking Colistin. I was interested to know how other people had found it and whether it had had a beneficial effect on PAs.Like you I do lung drainage twice daily if possible -ACBT , hill walking as often as I can. Throughout the winter months in the last two years I have been taking pulsed Augmentin and Doxycy line. The colistin is to replace these. Otherwise like you I get along quite well. Again thank you.

• Posted

no, but I will look into it. I take maximum meds...azithromycin 3x a week and tobramycin every other 28 days...please keep me informed on how you do with that med.

• Posted

Mary ann- thank you for responding. I was interested to know how others found it. Fortunately I do not have too much trouble getting mucus up. The exercises are generally effective. Thank you again.

• Posted

Btw, do you have the VEST by Hill-Rom? It has made expelling mucus easier. I recently got one thru my insurance with a 20 per cent copay. I recommend it for anyone interested.

• Posted

There are a number of vests made by different companies. For people in the States, insurance/Medicare only pay with a doctor's Rx.

• Posted

You are correct. I got it through Medicare after requesting it for easier expulsion of mucus.

I was wondering about those of you with pseudomonas....how long have you had it and have any meds helped exterminate it? I was told by my second opinion doctor that it will never go away once it has colonized. That was an eye opener. I was hoping to hear of a clinical trial that would kill it soon, but that will not be happening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.