Colitis and serious pain all over

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with colitis. For days it was constant bathroom visits and excruciating stomach pain. Now it feels like i've been hit by a truck and have the flu and mono and food poisoning combined. My whole body hurts, and I feel like I cannot get out of bed (severe fatigue). Every joint hurts, my ribs and stomach hurt to even touch. My back and chest hurt very badly, too. I had to take a vicodin the second I got home from work from how much pain I'm in. This scares the living daylights out of me. I keep drinking fluids and have been to the ER twice in the past 5 days to be given fluids and pain meds and told it's just colitis doing this to me. But this does not seem okay! I feel too weak to even walk and am not sure how I got though work three days this week. My blood pressure has also been all over the place, as well as my heart rate. And I am typically fine in these areas. They've done EKGs, and all if them have come back fine. I am too new to this, and I am scared that these health professionals are wrong, and my mom wants to bring me back to another ER. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar...

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sarah. I felt the same like I'd been poisoned. Just awful. Maybe you have a temperature. I was given anti biotics which helped me to get better.

It does go away so don't worry.

• Posted

I was given antibiotics, but I haven't felt any differently, only worse as the days have gone by. This is excruciating! I have had many other health things happen, but this one has taken me by surprise! I really hope you're right that it goes away soon because I only have so many sick days...thank you for replying to me, as I have felt lost for information, and searching the Internet has not helped me! A very sincere thanks to you, Stephanie! ?

• Posted

Hi Sarah

It's so horrible and only know too well how ulcerative colitis works I had it for 11 years and when you have a flare, which sounds like you are it's a living nightmare being admitted to hospital twice in 5 days I'm surprised they haven't kept you in. I would suggest you go back and see your gastroenterologist and see if he can give you an alternative medication to bring the flare down there are many options they give you. I've had both a minor flare where I was in hospital for 2 days and another in 2015 which lasted 9 months then had surgery .. good luck and here if you need any support it's such a hard disease to deal with just keep on at the docs x

• Posted

Thanks, Rachelle! I have an appointment on Monday and on Wednesday. I also have Celiac disease and have for years, so this is not my first go-around with digestive issues. But I do not remember what landed me in the hospital for celiac disease years ago being this painful. Every site I searched didn't really give me much information on whether my symptoms were typical. I started thinking the doctors were missing something...and then I found this site and figured it was best to ask people who've actually gone through it. I just had to take another med because 6 hours later, I am in excruciating pain, again. My whole body is throbbing. I'd go back to the hospital, but I feel like they'd just look at me as a joke. I wish people understood how painful this is...I'm glad you're feeling better. May I ask how long flare ups typically last? A sincere thanks to you, Rachelle, for responding to a new patient of this disease, who feels like she's losing her mind...and energy...

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Flares are all different where I've had one for 3/4 days and my other was 9 months I do hope you get better soon take care x

• Posted

Morning Sarah,

Sounds similar symptoms to what I have. I have Ulcerative Colitis and/or Crohn's. When I have a 'bad' flare up I get the stomach cramps and can't tolerate any solid foods and then regularly pass blood with little stools. I try and drink plenty of fluids although I find when I'm having a bad flare up I don't seem to like the taste of water?! Usually a course of steroids such as prednisone sorts me out after a few days. I currently take now azathiaprine and mezavant however doctors do like to play around with my dosage etc. Your symptoms will subside eventually and once you under control be careful what you eat. Each person diet is different, I can never eat course vegetables such as peas and sweet corn and avoid milk and cheese and lots of bread. Acids found in orange and apple not good neither is coffee and also red meat and shellfish and beans! Again though that's me as when I'm not having a large flare up I will eat a little cheese and red meat! Wish you better.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, Good luck at the Hospital, I have had UC for two years, I just got up one morning and started with constant toilet visits and terrible pain and constantly tired. It took three months to get me to a semi-controlled state. I was then diagnosed with Celiac 12 months ago had to change my diet drastically but seem to have got on top of this side. I have had a bad UC flare up for the last three months; they doubled my Mesalazine and tried enemas now on steroids for the last two weeks that are helping, side effects seem minimal at the moment will have to wait and see. Why these things affect us seems random, I have worked hard to look after my health all my life, been a vegetarian for thirty years staying fit and active after my dad died very young. Stay positive, and you will get through this stage and don't be scared to ask for help and support. Thomas

• Posted

hello sarah,i have had microscopic colitis for over a year now and have the same symptoms as you,the thing that helped me a lot was talking to a dietitian,after drinking and eating dairy all my life i now have to be lactose free with everything,strange isnt it but believe me it has helped a lot,also ask about a fodmapdiet as this will help too,goodluck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.