Colitis- Mesalamine + Azathioprine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I've recently had my second colitis flare up, after being stable for a few months on a high dose of mesalamine. This time I have been put on a 4 week course of methylprednisolone (3 weeks to go) whilst still taking mesalamine. I've also been told to start taking 150mg of azathioprine per day. I have just noticed it says on the info sheet for azathioprine that there may be a reaction between this and mesalamine. However, my doctor told me to continue taking both, whilst also on the steroids

Does anyone else have any experience of this combination of medications? Did you suffer any side effects? I think the long term goal is to get me off the mesalamine and steroids as soon as possible, and hopefully just have azathioprine as a maintenance med.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

i am in the same boat. His dose of pentasa, colafalk enemas, tapering steroids and seeing gastro on February 6th. I suspect he will try me on asa. Was wondering the same thing.

• Posted

I was on mesalamine and prednisone for about a month and a half. The mesalamine had no side effects that I experienced. The prednisone however was a different story. What I remember most was that it made me very jittery. I was a nervous wreck when I was on it. That seemed to taper off when I was able to get off it. 

Now I’m on Remicade and do not need to take either now. 

Thank goodness. 

Best Regards

• Posted

Please post how you’re doing once you finish your 3 weeks on this drug.. will have a conference call with my dr. Next week and want to suggest other drugs as so far balsalizide has done little for me...good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.