Collateral Damage

Posted , 2 users are following.

I haven't seen anyone mention the effect of childhood polio in one limb on the other limb. My left leg is 4cm shorter and weaker by far than its partner, which has suffered from overwork for 70 years. This has not stopped me in the past from living an active life, but has now given me chronic pain from right calf to right upper back. I am golfing with a  buggy for the first time, albeit reluctantly. My osteo has recommended an exercise bike to try to strengthen Lefty and help out Righty, but I'm not holding my breath. Does anybody use one, if so with what results?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello jeceris,

I do not think your osteopath is right - exercise very little they say - swimming is the very best.  I have exactly the same problem, my left leg is very weak from polio as a baby and the right one now gives me even more pain than the left, as all my weight is on the right one when I stand.

I have been prescribed pregabalin, which is a neuropathic painkiller, and it has helped a little.  I now also have some oromorph to try, but have not opened the bottle yet....I am 73 and finding life difficult lately.

Hope you find something to help, best wishes to you, Marion x

• Posted

Thank you for the feedback Marion.

My GP prescribes paracetamol and codeine up to the maximum as needed, which seems to manage the pain in normal circumstances, but uphill climbs are to be avoided. I don't find chiro or osteo have much other than temporary alleviative effects.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello again,

I take ibuprofen and codeine normally, but am finding pregabarin a great help.  I have the oromorph bottle still unopened - good to have something to fall back on if it gets really bad.  Pain is a nasty thing to live with, but we will win!!

Marion x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.