Skip to content

Post Polio Syndrome

All discussions in this group

• sandranyc 1

How to get help with saving my strength, etc.

i had a mild case of polio in 1955. My family was told there'd be no aftereffects, but a medical exam 10 years ago confirmed the sense I've always had that I had some damage in my upper back. Around that time I started experiencing fatigue which is now getting worse. I'm 70. My doctors say I don't have...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • mu49985 2

Stemcell therapy

I am 46 years old and had a polio when i was 8-months old. My left leg is affected slightly but as I am aging - it's giving me lots of trouble. Left knee and hip joints have been going weaker inspite of my excersize. I am wondering if anyone here has tried stem cell therapy to strenthen the muscles...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • jan1955 1

Post polio syndrome

Contracted polio at age 4/5 months old in 1955. Recovered except for right leg/hip however have led a normal and active life, including bearing 2 sons, until I was involved in a road accident in 1984 which resulted in the amputation (below-knee), of my right leg. Recovered from that and became fully...

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

Two years ago my husband started loosing muscel use. He ...

Two years ago my husband started loosing muscel use. He never had polio. His left arm is useless. I can not find out anything about it. He had a major heart attact 10 years ago. One year ago his left leg started to go the same way. He had many test and did not suffer a stroke. His right arm is going...

• Guest M

Post Polio Syndrome

I was 26 years old in 1947 when I contracted this disease. Initially I was almost totally paralysed from head to foot and I spent 6 months as in in-patient in UCH in London. Many more months were spent doing intensive hydro and physiotherapy. I was very fortunate to be able to lead a pretty 'normal'...

1 reply 1 vote Last reply
  • Guest M

I contracted polio @ the age of 14months I am now 49.It ...

I contracted polio @ the age of 14months I am now 49.It affected my left leg and for a time I wore callipers still it has never stopped me doing anything except for skiing!I recently was lucky enough to be referred to a consultant at Oswestry who examined me and confirmed that I had pps,he also informed...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

iT WAS JUST AFTER MY 30TH BIRTHDAY THAT I NOTICED A WEAK...

iT WAS JUST AFTER MY 30TH BIRTHDAY THAT I NOTICED A WEAKNESS IN MY RIGHT ARM WHICH WAS TREATED AS A NERVE TRAPPED IN MY NECK A OPERATION WAS PERFORMED BUT NO REAL IMPROVEMENT WAS GAINED THEN MY LEFT ARM BECAME WEAK A SECONED OP WAS PERFORMED AGAIN NO IMPROVEMENT SINCE THEN I HAVE HAD BREATHING DIFFICULTIES...

• Guest M

I am 73 years old. I contracted polio in 1947,at the age...

I am 73 years old. I contracted polio in 1947,at the age of 14, total paralysis in both legs and stomach muscles. No respiratory or upper body effects.I spent a year in hospital, and made a significant recovery. My left leg recovered about 70%, my right about 40%. Quadraceps were the worst affected muscle...

• Guest M

My sister and I used to play tennis, and one hot summer ...

My sister and I used to play tennis, and one hot summer day in 1954 we had played about an hour when suddenly my knees buckled and I fell while chasing a ball that she hit to me. I knelt for a moment and when I tried to get up by leaning on my racket, both legs collapsed in front of me. My sister ran...

• John1066 2

Zika and Polio Survivors

Zika and Dengue attack the nervous system.  In addition there is an accepted link between Zika and Guillain Barre Syndrome.  The latter can be really damaging to the N.S. ​Considering that polio survivors have an altered and more minimised nervous system, could Zika or Dengue and GBS have more of a...

• Princess22 1

Can anyone please suggest some doctor?

Hey Every1. I was affected by the polio virus when I was 6 months old. Now I m 23 year old girl.Intially My whole body was paralysed due to polio but by the Grace of Allah I recovered at the age of 2.but my legs are still affected and I cannot move much easily. According to my medical reports my my limb...

1 reply 2 votes Last reply
  • Guest M
  • lesley29707 1
  • adebenson 1
  • annelie53721 1

Post-polio syndrom in fiction

Hello all, I have a few questions regarding symptoms and pain medication for post-polio syndrom. I'm writing a Victorian mystery and my detective suffers from recurring infant paralysis (the diagnosis "polio" didn't even exist back then, and there were no treaments avalable). At that time, opium was...

• jacqueline32550 2

Knee replacement

I was wondering if anybody who has had polio has had a knee replacement I had one in April this year. I had polio at the age of 10 months old I'm 64 now  The operation has left me not being able to put my heel to the floor or bend my knee properly I am still on crutches because I nearly have zero muscles...

• charles025 1

Can muscle be rebuilt in a polio affected area/limb?

My mother suffered polio at around the age of 3 and has in recent years been increasingly affected by post polio syndrome. Thankfully she was relatively unharmed by the virus but it left her with a severely underdeveloped left leg. I think I understand that polio attacks the nervous system and this follows...

13 replies 3 votes Last reply
  • chrissy43 2

At last!

in February of this year I had my DLA Withdrawn after an assessment for the new PIP.  . I decided to fight what had be written about me.  Mainly that I can walk, unaided for 200 yards, I WISH!   Anyway on Friday I went to a tribunal and won!   Have full mobility back and some care which is what I had...

8 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • helen21128 2

Symptoms

My Husband contracted polio at the age of 2 in 1956. In 1969 he had corrective scoliocis surgery. Over the years he has many different health conditions e.g. mitral valve repair, severe muscle and back ache. At no time has nay medial professional linked his condiitons to polio. Last week he was diagnosed...

7 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • precious13012 2

post polio and PIP

hi anyone out there been refused PIP but have post polio syndrome.  I have just had to apply for PIP and wonder if anyone with polio has had their PIP refused.

• vanora69082 1

New here - Late effects of Polio

I had Polio when I was two and half, I am now 63.  The initial diagnosis was that it was not serious and I did not need to go to hospital as I would grow out of it.  I went to a mainstream school, just about managed, climbing four flights of stairs every day.  From the age of nine onwards I started experiencing...

• patinauburn 1
  • John1066 2

Is post Polio Syndrome Inevitable?

Hello ​I had paralytic polio in 1950 at the age of 2.5.  All four limbs were paralysed, but breathing was unaffected. ​I was fortunate in that I made a full recovery with no obvious problems other than possibly flat feet and bed wetting.  The latter could have been due to the fact that I was hospitalised...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

Ignorance of GPs about even the existence of PPS

I am sixty-two years old and contracted polio at the age of 18 months. I wore a half caliper until I was about eight at which point I binned the thing myself because I did not want to appear different. Since then I have always tried to ignore or deny my condition. I had a fairly difficult time at school...

7 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

I contracted polio in 1956. OK for years. PPS for last...

I contracted polio in 1956. OK for years. PPS for last 13 years or so. I was lucky that I heard of the Lane Fox Unit, at St Thomas' Hospital in London, and my GP referred me there for assessment. My comments to anyone experiencing PPS would be: 1. Learn what you can about it from sites such as...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Guest M

Unbelieviable!

I was admitted to hospital in 1981 with suspected POLIO.Isolated for 2 weeks,all sorts of tests.All with no conclusion. I have always been a keen sportsman,Rugby(represented South england),Cricket(I just love the game)Golf,etc etc.Always suffered with pain,but the past 5 years have been hell! Anyway,told...

• Marked 2

Polio thigh covering/wrap

Hi, can someone please direct me to where I can get something for my polio thigh, which will help me cover the differance in one leg. My left leg is like my forearm and the right one is normal (better than normal I want some place that can help me create or sell me some kind of fake skin/muscle cover/wrapping....

• elaine41487 2

Symptoms of PPS

I contracted Poiio in 1956.I suffer from a lot of problems and have noticed a weakness in my hands and knees. Could anyone tell me what the are the signs of PPS please, thanx

• Guest M

Polio and I collided when I was 7 months old, in 1955. S...

Polio and I collided when I was 7 months old, in 1955. Since I was 2 I have been walking with the aid of a caliper, left leg. My right arm is weak but otherwise I have always been reasonably fit and healthy. My back has become troublesome due to the way I walk. I am not naturally a sporty person but...

• Guest M

Post Polio Experience

After being diagnosed with polio aged 2 years in 1954 lived a relatively normal life. I was lucky, I only had weakness in right leg from hip down, deformed leg, not many muscles & leg length shorter than left leg. Wore full caliper until aged about 6, I think, since then worn half caliper with raised...

• Guest M

where do you find a doctor who has any knowledge of pps...

where do you find a doctor who has any knowledge of pps in the uk?? i have struggled for years to get a gp to listen about my tiredness lack of energy and all they do is fill out a presription for antidepressents.they have never carried out tests so i have tried to see other gps in our pratice but...

• Guest M

I came down with polio in 1949 one month before my 8th b...

I came down with polio in 1949 one month before my 8th birthday while playing Hopscotch. Mother said my legs were "just tired out" from hopping, but it was more serious. The next day, all the muscles in both legs were collapsed, and later therapists marveled at how much my knee tendons were...

• Guest M

I am now almost 58 years of age and contracted polio in ...

I am now almost 58 years of age and contracted polio in 1950 at the age of 2. After a significant number of operations I regained a lot of the use of my legs and was able to lead a reasonably normal if sedentary lifestyle until about 5 years ago. I suffered from breathlessness, HBP and cardiac problems...

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.