Leg getting weaker

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I had polio when I was 4 and had to wear a brace for a few years. When I was 29 I had reconstructive surgery done so when I walked I wouldn’t throw my foot but rather it came straight forward. I ended up looking like I just had a limp and it seemed was always asked “did u hurt yourself?”

about 8 months ago I noticed my leg getting weaker on the left leg, which is a little over 1” shorter. My right side that’s always been stronger developed sciatica and is now weaker also. The last couple weeks I found myself not being able to lift my foot all the way which ends up hitting my toe when the foot comes forward. I realize the the new nerves/muscles that branded off from my paralyzed muscle are wearing out. Is anyone experiencing this?  Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I got polio at a year old and for over 40 years all was ok. I adapted to many things but then I started falling because left leg got weaker. So now I use wheelchair . Not alot I can do at this point but be grateful for all the years I was ok. I rode Harley's,drove tractor trailers,climbed mountains and hiked the Cascade trail. I hope you figure it out.

• Posted

I think we all know it’s our muscles growing weaker from the years of use. I was told I couldn’t do things because of polio growing up but I was stubborn and did a lot of stuff surprising people. I’m grateful I can still walk and blessed by God for making it all these years. It’s nice to have a group going through the same thing since so many people do not understand what it’s like being a polio survivor.
  • Posted

Hi Jacquie

I have polio  had it since the age of 2. My left leg is weaker shorter by 1’’ and foot 2 sizes smaller then right foot. I am Now 58.  I found about 4 years ago I had post polio syndrome. my whole body started getting weaker more tired  also in a lot of pain now. Your symptoms could be the signs of Pps. Click on link below and read about it

Hope you feel better soon https://britishpolio.org.uk/polio-and-post-polio-syndrome/post-polio-syndrome/

• Posted

Thank you! I’m 61 same leg, foot difference and leg length. So far I don’t have the pain just the weakness. It was a pain growing up wearing the same size shoe but as an adult I’ve always bought 2 different size shoes.
    • Posted

Hi Jacquie 

I wear boots. I wear a strapping and 4 socks on my Left foot to fill the boot out. But if I wear sandals in summer I buy 2 different sizes sandals but still have to have a strapping on left foot just for a bit extra support.   What year did you get polio xx

• Posted

Hi Susan, I had it in 1961. I woke up one morning and couldn’t walk. My parents took me to a chiropractor a couple days later and was able to have some strength but had to wear a brace for a few years. Oh how I disliked it. I use to wear 2 socks but am able now to put shoes fillers in.

back then i wasn’t told what polio was just that I was sick. I grew up feeling like a freak until I was in my 20’s and came across a book in the library. What a shock to find out how this effected our bodies. I stopped feeling like that and was glad to be a survivor. To this day I still get people asking why I limp, of course it’s worse now. Oh and the way people stare amazes me at times. Having polio made me aware not to stare at people also and brought my children up not to stare.

• Posted

Hi Jacquie

That was the same year that I got it. My

Mam got me up one morning and and I couldn’t stand up so my

Mam and grandma took me to doctors and the doctor said I was just being lazy but my grandma asked for a second opinion then I became paralysed all down the left side was put in a iron lung for a while. Got the use of my arm back but my leg has no muscle and is very weak. Left foot was turned in so had quite a few operations  Had to wear calliper up till I was about 15 then doctors said nothing else they could help me with. So just got on with it. I know what you mean about

People staring. Plus the names I was called when I was at school was very hurtful. 

Why didn’t your parents talk to you about it 

Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking xx

• Posted

Hi Susan 

my parents have always been the the type to just not talk about stuff....like just get on with it. I think it was their age group or the way they were raised. I’ve always been the type to know the answers. My type A personality. I live in Indiana. Even now when I try to tell my mom what’s going on there’s not a lot of interest. 

• Posted

Hi Jacquie 

That’s a shame they never discussed it with you.  There’s a lot you could of learnt about the disease. I have detorated over the past 4 yrs that’s when I found out I had post polio syndrome I now have to use a walking stick or a wheelchair if I am out shopping my leg is so weak now 

I live in Whitley bay England xx

• Posted

Hi Jacquie

There was a fantastic program on over here about  2 months ago all about how polio began and what people went through it was really good xx

• Posted

Hi susan

Polio is interesting how it started, what it did to the body and how it repaired itself for so many. I wondered when I was little why I had to have it but as I grew older and my faith in God grew stronger I learned it’s what made me the strong person I am to this day. 😊

• Posted

Hi Jacquie 

Same here I just learnt how to get on with it. My sisters and brothers were a good help to me and still are xx

• Posted

Hello all of you,

It really is great to hear of others with pps and the wonderful way you have all dealt with your problems now, and when you were younger.  Most people have no understanding of polio difficulties.  My polio was my left leg - nearly 2 inches shorter.  I had polio is 1945 when I was a baby, I live in beautiful Surrey.

I now really strugglle to walk at all everything is hard to do, but I am lucky to live in a bungalow, and am still able to drive.  I am on my own, but have a little dog - he listens too!!

Best wishes to you all,

Marion x

• Posted

Hi Marion 

Nice to hear from you. I agree there is a lot of people out there that don’t understand about polio or post polio syndrome. I think even some doctors struggle with understanding the illness. I am a member of the British polio society which have been a great help they understand about the illness and it’s good if you have any questions you just ring them and they will find answers 

Susan 

• Posted

Hello Susan,

I am a member too, but never go to any "events"

I am very lucky, in that my doctor, 24 years ago recognised my problems as pps.  I was just 50 then, and had to give up work.

Marion x

• Posted

Hi Marion 

I never go to the events either. I got  PPS 4yrs ago. When I was 54 Doctor said it was brought on by the stress of losing my Husband 

I also live in a bungalow which is great as I can’t manage stairs 

It great talking to people who have same illness as they know what we had to go through xx

• Posted

HI I was just the same I got polio when I was 3 and had calipers (kafos) since then The "P" word was taboo totally m other would never discuss it 12 years ago I fell indoors and landed on my back on cold floor tiles The shock waves fractured 2 vertabrae T6 &T7 at the front of my spine I had massive surgery to correct only to find out I had Parkinsons Iv been not too bad but now I'm sure it's awful back pain because I lean forward at about 45 degrees Im now only in 1 kafo but my orthotist says the only way iI will get relief is to have pelvic band added BUT she wont do it to one kafo and say meanwhile I mast "Just" manage the pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.