Pps

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 66 . I initially was affected with right arm and left hand.i was told by my parents that I was totally paralized and near to death . I have been going down hill from the age of 50 . It’s only in recent years I have learnt about pps through a polio charity. My doctor had never heard of it .i ve done a lot of rea search . One tip that may help is to eat more protein. As a vegetarian I was on a right old state . Apparently it takes us 3 times more energy to do something as to a non sufferer. The most important time is a high protein breakfast . I am now using body building high protein drinks and bars .i have seen a significant improvement in my body .im doing things I haven’t been able to do for ages . And I am a lot stronger . It’s not a cure , but will improve your life . Don’t forget carbs as well .  Kind regards Dee

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee, I know exactly how you feels. I Am 76 and have been suffering for about 20 years but recently it’s got a lot worse. I wake every night with dreadful pains in my feet and legs, I could nearly cry. I  Live in Spain Andy the doctors here’s have never heard of it either.im living on Parecetamol all the time. I think we just have to grin and bear it as it seems no one has any idea how to deal with it. So sorry for you but chin up x

sandy

• Posted

THAT SHould read and not ANdy
    • Posted

Hi , just because you live in Spain you should not have to put with this . Does your doctor speak English weir . Or someone to translate. Go to google , and write signs and symptoms of post polio syndrome. You will get loads of information to show your doctor . And maybe learn so things your self .my doctor now recognises it and is Very helpful . She also gave me a phone number to for people with serious illness . Please don’t give up . Diazepam is go for you at night .i have been prescribed strong pain killer . But you would have to be careful because of your age . My point in writing my first article was to recommend eating more protein to boost the still healthy muscles. I hope this has helped . Let me know please if this has helped . Kind regards  Dee
    • Posted

Hi Dee, my problem is the pain I suffer comes sporadically. I can be sitting watching television and I have to jump up and walk around for a few minutes before it goes away. The same in bed. It wakes me up and I have to get out of bed and walk around for a few minute. .this can  happens no 5 or 6 times a night. I’m now getting pain started in my right hand and sometimes I lose the grip in it. It’s always the right side of my body which was the side affected by polio. My doctor just tells me it’s arthritis.

sandy

• Posted

Hi , it sounds like cramps witch is one of the symptoms of pps . Are you aware of all the symptoms of pps . There are very many . Does your doctor know about pps . You know the polio virus affects the brain , which controls our muscles . The synapses break as we get older and we experience the pain we had when we where ill . We also loose muscles that were affected at the time of the illness . Go on Google there is loads of information on pps. I’m not a doctor , but I went to see a neurologist. Who prescribed me with strong pain killers . Do your research. Insist on help . Good luck  . Kind regards Dee 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.