Medication reaction causing post polio symptoms.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bulbar polio in 1952. Luckily I avoided the iron lung and eventually seemed to recover all my strength and have lived a very normal life. At age 60 I was given a statin to lower my cholesterol. Within a couple of months I started have terrible leg pains at night and it kept getting worse. Something told me that it could be the medicine. Sure enough after stopping taking it the symptoms disappeared. Other statins had the same effect. In the last 20 years I have found that there are certain medications and supplements that will bring on PPS. Luckily I have been able to identify which ones. I find myself once again having PPS; but this time I haven't been able to discover the medication that is causing it.

Has anyone had similar experience with drug related reactions? I'm wondering if taking certain medications will cause a reaction after being taken several years. I don't know what to do next and my doctor isn't able to offer any help.

Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Virginia

I see you haven't had any responses to your query even though it was raised some time ago. I've only just come across this Forum because I've recently joined The British Polio Fellowship www.britishpolio.org.uk

We have an Expert Panel and members raise questions for them to answer. I know one thing they would say is you should speak to your GP because they won't know the specifics of your case (i.e. your history, current medication etc). However it is something I ask them and/or our wider polio survivors membership, if you were interested. Take a look at our website and contact me on info@britishpolio.org.uk

Take care

Carol

• Posted

I had polio when I was 18 months old. We lived in Roseville, Michigan. Lost the use of my legs and right side, arm. Mom's passed so can't ask questions. But I'm 70 in a few months. Just went through a triple bypass. Was in pretty good shape before I thought. Work a farm and in factories so was pretty strong. A doctor put me on a statin and I lost use of my legs with weakness and pain. It took me almost a month off the statin before I could walk well again. So far those are the only meds I know that hurt me but then again I have limited the meds I've been on. Its been about 20 years since those statins. Since my heart attack and surgery the new doctors put me on another one. Its been 4 months, so far so good. I try to tell the doctors I'm sensitive to it. If they don't listen and I have problems I quit the med. They aren't the ones that have to live with the pain and weakness. I've had post-polio problems since I've been in my late 30's. The heat of Arizona really helped. But I came back home to Michigan. I have to be very very careful in the winter as I can't stand the cold.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.