Post Polio people

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, don't seem to hear from any of you these days, hopefully that is because the sunshine (not for the last few days) helps. I do not enjoy humidity but I love the sun.

Have depression again now, just hope it goes away.

Love to all,

Marion

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marion, hope you are feeling a little better and not too depressed. Are you in pain, is that why you are depressed? When did you have polio and do you have pps? If you need to chat i am a good listener, perhaps we could exchange experiences. i was 12 when i had polio and must admit i am suffering now with pains in my joints and have breathing difficulties but i am lucky I live in southern Spain and the sun helps me physically and mentally. Hope you feel better soon.

Sandy xx

• Posted

I was 18 months old when I had polio. I went through physical therapy with cripple childrens society back then for 6 years. At night my father worked on my legs, I can still remember the pain but he kept on it. Growing up my left leg was underdeveloped and the right leg compensated so the calf is very large. My arms grew nice and strong. I worked on farms and in factories so I did really well until my 20s. The cold would be so bad that I'd hide and cry from the pain. In my 30s went to Arizona, it was heaven being so hot and dry and sunny. But with complications I came home to family. I'm 70 now, lived alone for over 20 years. My left leg hurts terribly at night so I take many precautions like using soft pillows to lay it on. The depression has been a problem my whole life. But with medication its a bit better. It still hurts as the years go on with the pain and not being able to do the things I used to do because of it. I've always tried to put on a good face. Sometimes the only thing that makes use feel good is being with family or doing what we like to do best. We have to look for those things sometimes. Heat and muscle creams are the only thing that works best after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.