Severe Leg Pain while laying down

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had polio which effected and weakened my left leg when i was a child. Almost 45 years later, my good leg (right leg) is very painful when i lay down. I cannot sleep through the night and have to sit in chair to relieve rhe pain. I know over the years i have overcompensated my good right leg. Anyone else having this problem? if so what treatment have you done to help?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I share that pain too daily sadly so know what you are going through. I have come to the conclusion that there is really nothing on offer to help. No magic pills or patches. Think it is all about planning ahead and pacing yourself. I stupidly went out the other day thinking I could manage some shopping and needed to be rescued. As soon as you feel any twinge which may indicate that something is not quite right. Stop! You will always pay for it later. Sorry not to sound more positive with a magic cure but unless someone tells me I don't know the answer. I wish you well. xx

• Posted

hi, i had my left leg effected also and from overuse of my good leg its become weaker. my pain in the right leg comes from nerves being pulled from the weakness. There are days when it feels like every nerve is awake and yes some nights are hard. Theres nothing i can do other than just to take it easy. I'm thankful i can walk and when i get down i remind myself many died from polio . Take care 😃

• Posted

I had polio at 18 months old. I'm 70 now. When a child I had therapy until I was 6 with my father stretching my legs at night. Many a night he would wake up at night to work on my right leg, that over-compensated for the left, to rub and work the muscle spasms in it. My left leg is small and the muscles withered. At night no matter what I do the leg hurts like crazy. I have to have it propped on a soft pillow. Every night I rub it with a strong muscle cream. Every morning I stretch a little then walk. I've had to change my shoes often throughout my life. I still have problems with breaking shoes down on one side. I don't ever use shoes that aren't flat soled, no heels. I walk with a cain the days I need it and walking poles or a walker, depends on the day. But keep going. Walking keeps me mobile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.