To share personal experience and a very useful book on polio and PPS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I contracted polio on my left leg when I was 18 months old. I managed walk with a little support using my left hand. After 42 I realized the further weakening of the leg but managed till 51. While was searching for some solution, I came to know about KAFO which gave me life. Now i am having tough time walking without KAFO inside the house becasue of the weakness of ankle. I realize that we cannot do anything except reducing the activitiy. While I was trying to undertand the polio and its later effect i came across a very informative and useful book "Travelling wihotut a spare" wirtten by a medical doctor and polio person. Certainly this will be useful to know about polio and how to manage particuarly at the later stage.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello sunda,

Very interesting to read your message - I was the same age as you when I contracted polio which affected my leg leg, it is now one and a half inches shorter than my right.  The brace I was given at hospital did not help my ankle at all, so I will look up KAFO and see if they will help.  The ankle gives way all the time and I fall very easily.  My cane helps greatly, but as you know, nothing improves with age!  I have not heard of the book either so will get that.

I am now 73 and getting old is bad enough without PPS.  Could be worse I guess.

Best wishes, and thank you for the info.,  Marion

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. I was 12 when I contracted polio in 1954. When I was 49 I started suffering from breathing problems which is also associated with polio patients. They put it down to asthma. I now have problems with the joints along the right side of my body, knee, shoulder, hip and now the thumb joint. I live in Spain and the doctor here doesn’t know anything about PPS. He puts it down to osteo arthritis. People say it’s your age but why isnt everyone my age the same. Its so annoying that you can’t do anything about it. I’m fed up of taking painkillers. Saying all that, I’m so happy to be alive, some people never got over polio.

sandy

• Posted

You are so right bolton wanderer, but I must admit when I see people my age and much older who walk for miles.....I am not a jealous type, but I do once in a while think "wish I could do that"

I hope the sun over there helps a little.  People always seem to smile more when the sun shines.  It is pretty cold here at present, and that is an understatement!!  However, Spring is on it's way.  Best wishes, Marion x

• Posted

In addition to whatever measures we take to cope with the PPS, I would like to suggest meditation which I think may be beneficial in general. If you do not know about mediation, here is the link; http://www.ishafoundation.org/Ishakriya

It is a guided mediation. I have been practicing and it is very good. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.