How to get help with saving my strength, etc.

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had a mild case of polio in 1955. My family was told there'd be no aftereffects, but a medical exam 10 years ago confirmed the sense I've always had that I had some damage in my upper back. Around that time I started experiencing fatigue which is now getting worse. I'm 70. My doctors say I don't have PPS because I'm not physically disabled, but the two books I read on the topic said that generalized fatigue can be a symptom of it, and that overexertion can exacerbate it. I feel that this is happening to me. I can no longer walk as much as I used to without fatigue, and light housekeeping like putting away laundry and dealing with clutter can overwhelm me, particularly if it piles up. (I already hire someone to do actual housework) would an occupational therapist be someone to see for an assessment and getting services? How would I go about this? I live alone and have no family. I also have mild upper back pain from the polio damage and find it difficult to exercise the muscles, which makes even hanging up clothes tiring.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had Polio in 1951 which affected my leg. I was able to live an active life until I started getting the similar symptoms as you are experiencing now.  I went to the Lane Fox unit at St Thomas' hospital in London.  They confirmed I had PPS & have had so much help from them.  I suggest you go to see your GP & ask for a referral to a PPS consultant.   You may have to really push for this.  My GP has only just acknowledged my PPS.   Good luck

• Posted

I had polio in my left leg when a baby, I am now 72. PPS affects me quite badly - lots of pain, in both legs and my back, and I get overwhelmed when I have lots to do, but I do pay for help, just glad I am able to do this.

My PPS was diagnosed by a great doctor in New Malden when I was just 50, sadly he has now retired.  There are few doctors around with experience of polio now.

Anything extra I do really tires me, but resting does help a bit.  I take loads of painkillers, have osteopathy and back injections.

The Lane Fox unit is great too.

Good wishes to all other survivors,  Marion

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

I have active polio but milder case. It has wekend my lower left back to all the way to left leg big time. I limp slighly when I walk and get lots of pain to do anything out of my reach. What helps me is - doing stretching and yoga excersize EVERYDAY and eating balanced and  healthy diet. PPS puts us into too much of body pain but one needs to find a balance in excersize, diet and rest.

I do not take pain killer at all or any other medicine. My path is alternative therapies to deal with my pain. I also have regular visit to accupuncture, Chiropractor, massages and energy sessions.

Hope you can break the dependancy with pain killer. 

Wish you all the best! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.