Collateral ligament damage (knee)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 2 weeks ago I had a horse riding accident and have damaged the collateral ligament in my knee. Still 2 weeks on my knee is still very bruised and the left side of my knee is numb with the right side being the bruised side. I'm still not very mobile. I am currently waiting for an MRI scan appointment then will have physio. The doctor has said 6 weeks for recovery. Has anyone else had this injury and if so, how long did it take to heal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola - lucky you being able to ride ! I am 3 weeks out from a TKR and not sure if I will be able to ride anymore which does not feel too good sad 

I am sure your MRI will be able to tell you if you need a repair done or if it is a time heals approach. Knees are such tricky things and you need to do what ever you are advised for a good long term outcome. I injured my knee at age 14 high jumping. Did the ACL and never had a repair done till I was 40 ish. Then ruptured my meniscus 7 years ago which has led to a total replacement. My point is if I had recieved the proper care at age 14 this would most likely have not been my outcome. Do what ever it takes - it will be worth it and all the best for your riding smile

• Posted

Oh no, poor you! I hope you have a speedy recovery and get to ride again.

I am hoping it's just going to be time but will have to see. I will do whatever the doctor says, hope you get better soon and thanks for your advice.

• Posted

There are 2 collateral ligaments of the knee and they are both crucial for knee stability. I injured my MCL many years ago and I would say 6 weeks sounds reasonable - if you really adhere to doctors orders as far as activity restrictions, rest, etc. They wait a couple weeks to do the MRI in order to give the inflammation time to decrease. Like others giving advice about this, I strongly encourage you to give your knee the proper time needed to heal adequately to hopefully avoid problems down the road. I wish you good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

I was thrown from a horse over 40 years ago and the inside of my right knee is still numb.I have had ongoing pain for the last 15 years but in the the last 12 months it has gradualy got more painful. I have had xrays and an mri scan but the only things showing are a lot of debris and a meniscal tear. My surgeon can't understand why I am in such agony and is performing an arthroscopy on it next tuesday. I hope you recover soon.

• Posted

Don't underestimate debri and meniscus tears !! I know this well and the power of those small pieces to cause absolute havoc within my knee was indescribable. I had a serious meniscus tears 7 odd years ago and it was cleaned up at the time surgically but every so often pieces would fall away and the joint would lock and catch and I would be in agony and unable to weight bare at all. This last time my surgeon decided enough was enough as had an ACL 40 odd years ago as well all the accumulative damage needed to be fixed by TKR which I had done 4 weeks ago today. I am so looking forward to not having those random excruciating events ever again smile

• Posted

I am also a horse rider and am not sure if I will trust riding again - I will have to wait and see how the leg responds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.