Colles Wrist Fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

On Dec 22 I fell and fractured my wrist...a Colles fracture.  Very painful.  Two weeks on it is still painful although mobility in the fingers and elbow is good.  I can't twist the arm though and certainly no weight bearing usage.  So far I have a splint.  I had it X rayed twice...once on the day and again three days later.  It was in place and had started healing. I was on holiday at the time and am home now.  I go to the dr. on Monday.  Don't know if I should ask for a cast or stay with the splint.  I like being able to remove the splint to shower etc. But would like to be sure that it heals correctly.  Any advise? Also I am surprised the pain continues so much.  I would like feedback on the pain please.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diani, you will get an answer to your question - for sure you will.

In this meantime I wish you have a quick recovery and a great 2016!

• Posted

Bad luck with your fracture. I would have thought the doctor is likely put you in a cast to immobilise the wrist. The main thing will be to ensure the fracture is aligned properly. You can get a waterproof cast protector for showering/bathing called a Limbo which can be ordered online.  A wrist fracture is painful! It may take a couple of months before you feel the pain is easing off.  It can also feel more painful after the cast is removed if you have one. I had a bad fracture with a plate and 8 screws to fix it in late August and it's only in the last month that I've started to feel less pain when using it. It's a case of being patient and exercising your wrist gently to begin with.
    • Posted

thanks Sally,

The Limbo sounds like a great idea.

• Posted

Hi Diana. The colles fracture is very painful you can take paracetamol or tramadol for the pain.usually the fracture have to be immobilised to heal first by splint to allow for edema to subside then to apply plaster of Paris or the fiberglass splint which is lighter than pop. before that x ray have to be done to make sure the fracture is not displaced. better to take calcium and vitamin c . better to avoid brufen as it slow bone healing.
    • Posted

Thanks Liqaa,

i am off to th dr tomorrow and am bathing as much info as possible before I go so I can ask the right question.  I appreciate yours and others input very much.  How do you feel about moving the fingers and working on twist the arm while still in the cast?

• Posted

You have to move your fingers and shoulder to prevent stiffness but the wrist have to be immobilized.i think it is better to start moving your fingers and shoulders after the cast application.usually splint applied at first to allow for swelling to apply cast afterwards.hope you get well soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.