Colon and rectal issues post RP

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 3 months post RP. Stool and bowel movement has more or less gone back to normal. About 2 to 3 weeks ago started noticing some change in the form and size, just slightly smaller and shape slightly squarish.

Explained to both, my urologist and my general doctor, and they both said having a colonoscopy at my age (52) is a good thing, but that I can't have it now that soon after RP (in another 2 to 3 months) and changes in bowel movement and stool is normal after such an operation that could take up to 1 year until all body functions return to normalcy and that what I am noticing is very likely related to the operation. "Stop stressing over everything and monitoring everything so closely and minutiously".

I can't help but worry about a colon problem.

Anyone had such an experience?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Intersting post!

Last year at the same time as my prostate monitoring/MRIs/Biopsy etc I had a colonoscopy due to blood appearing in my faeces. I had a small polyp which was removed. - I mention this just because it demonstrates that I started with a clear large bowel (rectum and colon).

On Devember 23rd I had a bad dose of food poisoning (egg-derived soe likely to be salmonella) from which my bowel never recovered until I tried a dairy-exclusion diet a week before my op (my RP was on 27th Jan 2017). This immediately seemed to sort out my bowel problem but this was too soon before my op to be absolutely certain (about 1 day). Since mt RP I have had problems maintaining weight and my faeces have not had the same consistency as normal (ie pre Dec 23rd). I have put this down to the food poisoning episode but am intrigued to hear of your problems though you would seem to be referring more to shape than consistency.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.