Colon/Bowel Cancer Fears Constantly?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys!

I seem to be posting all to much on these sites but I really feel like I’m losing my mind sometimes!

I’ve been having a rough time for the past month and I’m getting really fed up of feeling like crap every day! 🙃

It all started a month ago, when I had chest pains and tightness and was sent into a state of panic about a heart attack - multiple doctors and an A&E visit later with ECGs and OBS done - they told me it was all clear and that it was anxiety/panic attacks!

All great! Now on to my next fear, symptoms?

I think I have bowel/colon cancer sad -

My bowel habits have changed - more so when I need to have a bowel habit im having multiple bowel movements in morning now - normally one as soon as I wake up then another 2 within 2 hours - then I won’t normally go again until later in the day once or twice sometimes. I’ve always been someone who poops and wees a lot - it’s just the timing has changed. Due to my excessive wiping and straining I did have blood on toilet paper multiple times! - I obviously googled it and saw colon cancer everywhere. So now I’m convinced I have it! rolleyes 

It’s got that bad I’m now inspecting every bowel movement and the smallest thing will send me into a meltdown - my stools were quite ‘flat’ however I’ve been taking fibre supplements since which have bulked them up somewhat still get somewhat flat stools occasionally! - I’ve also switched to toilet wipes and I’m using cream for piles/fissures which has eased the bleeding haven’t had that for multiple days now since switching! - 

I have contacted my GP in regards to it and have had blood tests done which came back all perfect! Which puts my mind at ease in regards to anemia which is a common sign of colon/bowel cancer. 

I don’t feel bloated after meals, I don’t feel fatigued - I don’t suffer from pain in abdomen - I have had excessive gas at both ends though! 

I’ve also noticed mucous in stool a few times, very rare though! rolleyes 

It’s sending me into a state of panic as I’m spending hours a day on Google, looking at Symptoms and Stories of Bowel/Colon Cancer and convincing myself I have it! 

I’m constantly inspecting my stools to check for any abnormalities rolleyes 

A bit about me now - I’m a 26 year old male - no history of bowel/colon cancer in my family. Slightly overweight! 

No weight loss and no loss of appetite?

Had some pains in abdomen last night, not sure if this was due to fibre supplements and food that I’d had

Has anyone suffered something similar or has an insight into what this is?

As it’s driving me mental! sad 

Generally feel depressed today! rolleyes

Sorry for long post!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The change in frequency could just be from the supplements you are taking. And if bleeding is bright red and goes away after a day or so it likely is just a small tear. Mucous can be a sign of constipation.

I've had IBS for years and all these symptoms plus I've had chronic constipation and bleeding in the past and mucous etc

You are young. It's very unlikely to be cancer. But if your worried ask your doctor to send you for a colonoscopy. I've had two in the past and going for a third soon but my symptoms are chronic (12 years on and off).

Obviously any new symptoms that worry you need to be checked.

But people with anxiety tend to over think and under react (guilty of this myself). One thing I have learned is don't worry unless they find something but get the tests done quickly if you feel like something has changed ?

And some doctors are plain lazy and will tell you it's just anxiety which in some cases it is but sometimes anxiety itself can be an indication that something is off with the body. I really don't think that it the case with you. You probably are totally over thinking and over worrying but that doesn't mean every single symptom can be dismissed by a doctor over the next 20 years

• Posted

Is your bleeding just on toilet paper or in the toilet as well? I am having all the same symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Jay

Blood in  the stool is very common.  Caused mainly from straining.  Tiny blood vessels get broken and it’s nothing serious.  Bright red blood will be seen.  

Please don’t google.  You will scare yourself for no good reason.  It won’t pertain to your individual situation.     At your age, assuming you are young, colon cancer is unheard of.  Over 50 is the usual age.  So relax about this.  

Peoplr have all kinds of intestinal issues that are not serious.

I can’t tell you how many times I have had blood on tissues over the years..  and Im very healthy.

Hemorrhoids can cause bleeding also.  

Try drinking more fluids and eating more fibrous foods so you don’t have to strain. It will clean you out and get rid of the gas. 

mucus is also very common,  not a problem at all.

Fear has taken over.  You have self diagnosed, But there are no facts to support that. 

You are fine. Listen to a meditation called Detachment from Overthinking on you tube.

You are allowing negative thoughts to control your mind and you don’t have to give it that power.  No need to overthink this.   😁??

• Posted

I am 32 years old. Almost 2 years ago I began having constant diarrhea. I believed it was due to excessive drinking (it was summer and we spent a lot of days drinking on a boat.) I also started developing a lot of trapped gas. I had pain in my stomach and back. I then started having blood in the toilet. I’ve had blood in the toilet off and on for almost 2 years. I had a colonoscopy with biopsies a few weeks after the bleeding began. Clear colonoscopy, biopsies normal. I’ve had an upper scope with biopsies also clear. I’ve had 2 stomach and pelvic CT’s both clear. I also did a fecal test which was normal. My blood work is normal except elevated Neutrophils (7.2 normal high is 4.8). WBC is normal. Not anemic. My iron was 1 point lower than normal. I suffer from anxiety and am terrified it’s colon cancer. Can anyone please help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.