Colon Cancer Scare

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there I'm a 23 year old male and I am terrified that I might have colon cancer ! I've had stomach issues in the past which led to me actually having a colonoscopy in March of this year. Everything came out perfect on my colonoscopy , not even a polyp was found. My Gi doctor said it can probably just be IBS. Now all of a sudden for over a month now ive been having blood in my stool along with mucus and stomach pains. I tried not to stress to much with the hope that it will go away but its been over a month now and the bleeding and mucus has not stopped. i am now having bad constipation with flat stools and the feeling that i cant have a full bowel movement. So now im just freaking out and have an appt coming up with my GI doctor but im just thinking the worst 😦 HELP

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Okay well since you had a colonoscopy this year, the possibility of having colon cancer is very low. I mean, they are literally looking into your colon so it's very rare that they would have missed it. Plus, colon cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers. That's why annual colonoscopies for those over 50 are recommend every decade. So.. don't worry yourself about cancer.

Hmm, some of those symptoms can definitely be related to IBS, though I've rarely heard of blood. Perhaps you could get another colonoscopy to double check your bowels. Maybe an endoscopy would benefit too, as it could be something in your stomach. Anyways.. I really don't think it is cancer so don't stress about that.

• Posted

You had a clean colonoscopy so cancer is not really a concern. They would have seen it. However if your symptoms are worse you could be experiencing colitis or IBS and that does need medical treatment. I would go back to your doctor and explain your symptoms have worsened and maybe they'll do another colonoscopy. I have also had some blood and mucus and a clean colonoscopy so other things can be the cause.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.