Colon Resection Post Surgery Healing

Posted , 3 users are following.

What has anyone’s post surgery healing been like after colon resection? I had 13” removed (sigmoid and partial descending) along with appendix. My procedure was laparoscopic (main incision about 6cm). I am at 4 weeks post and still have deep soreness in my pelvic area along with pain on my left flank. Incisions are healing nicely and are only tender to touch, no pain there. How long does it take to feel almost back to normal again? The left flank pain has been coming on over that past 7-10 days and is actually getting a little worse....not sure what’s up. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks post op after having a open sigmoid colectomy surgery.  Mine was not as intensive as yours,  they removed 4" of my sigmoid that was riddled with so many pockets they actually formed into 1 big pocket, lots of scar tissue which caused a blockage. I am healing well at the incision but remember they cut into you so there's still wounds inside that needs to heal. That could take many more weeks.  Follow the doctors orders,  don't overdue anything,  keep yourself hydrated, and walk.  Another thing is food. Stay on a soft bland diet, no fresh fruit and vegetables,  red meat, spicey foods, nuts, corn, berries until in my case 6 weeks.  Also food moderation, don't overeat! You've gone through not one but 2 major surgeries, give your body time to heal. 

• Posted

Thanks Glenda! When I saw my surgeon at the two week mark, she cleared me to start introducing fiber at that point. She said slowly ease into it. I must admit, I have been over eating a little bit here and there and I have not really paid too much attention to moderating any certain types of foods. Generally speaking, I’m eating low residue Western diet. I might have an apple or an orange here and there, and maybe a side salad,  but that’s not too often. 

Honestly, I think I feel pretty good at the four week mark, but was mainly curious about others and how they are healing has gone. I’ve been very fortunate and I think I had a very good surgeon because my incisions never leaked, nor did they get to red or infected at all. My bowel movements have returned to almost normal as if I didn’t have the surgery which  is great. 

• Posted

Hi,

I know we have spoken before throughout our surgeries. I am 9 wks post op now and feel 95%. My OR was done robotically. I have 5 small incisions and a 4 inch larger incion low in the abdomen. I too had 12-18 in of colon removed! I am  progressively feeling better. At the 5 wk Mark I became really sick I was nauseous, had abdominal pain both left and right , and horrible back pain with diarrhea. It lasted 5 days. So after a discussion with the surgeon we changed some things. I was taking a probiotic ( that I had taken prior to surgery) that contained lactose. Maybe I’m intolerant now but switched to Align. I also at that point started on Benefiber. So my conclusion was I was constipated. I also started a multivitamin due to hair loss. I feel really good and can eat most things. I try to stay away from fried foods. I have had a couple burgers. But cannot drink ANY carbonated drinks.

So are you watching your diet? Did you have any bladder involvement? Are you having any fevers or blood in the urine? Sometimes catheters will cause an infection so call your Dr.

Hang in there! Your not far from your goal!

Kate

• Posted

My bladder has been the odd aspect of my issue. I had several months of bladder pain and sporadic blood prior to surgery because my colon was kind of stuck to it due to all the inflammation. As a result, my bladder was not happy and became inflamed. Essentially, my upper bladder would burn when I urinated. To this day, it still burns when I urinate.

About 2 weeks ago, I had an incident where a shed a lot of bladder tissue when I peed. It looked like strings of pink rubber. I took some photos and contacted my Urologist. He said it was somewhat normal due to all the inflamation I’ve incurred. It’s now over 4 weeks since surgery and I would have thought by now that my bladder would be feelomg better, but it still burns when I pee. My pee is clear and no blood is present. He said to give it several more weeks. Feels like he’s kicking the can down the road, I dunno... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.