Colon resection surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am having surgery on April 10 due to a perforated colon. I had my first Diverticulitis attack Jan of 2012 with several attac ks since. Feb 16 this year I had a bad one and testing showed a very large abscess which was drained (drain is still in). Just curious what to expect as far as pain, recovery time in the hospital and at home and just what to expect with weight loss and when you started eating normal again. Im a bodybuilder so the thought of losing lots of weight and muscle is killing me!

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I haven’t had surgery yet but this is what I’ve been told! If done laparoscopically 4 days in the hospital. If done open 6 days in the hospital. The colon surgeries now have a new protocol at the teaching hospital. I will have a nerve block done before surgery which is injecting meds in the abdomen so you don’t have as much pain after OR. I will be able to take Tylenol for relief! I’ll get back to you on that one! They will get you out of bed and walking the same day. Start with liquids and advance as u feel better. Someone who recently had surgery said no meat for 2 weeks! A catheter will be placed after you are asleep and remain in 24 hrs. Unsure about weight loss after. I have lost 30 lbs already and can’t imagine much more.

Good luck! My surgery is the 9th

• Posted

Wondering how your surgery went?

I had mine done robotically on the 9 

No stoma.  Twelve inches  were removed  due to hardening. Very little incisional pain but still feel distended.

Wondering how the  bowel will return.

I’m eating and no nausea. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.