Colonic diverticula

Posted , 1 user is following.

So I actually received the final word on my abdominal CT and I have multiple colonic diverticula. Well that explains quite a bit to me, so I guess it wasn't normal after all. So now the debate is still colonoscopy or not. This might also explain some of the occult blood in the stool which can not be seen with the naked eye. The doctor did give me Bentyl which does help with the spasms that occurs, so just maybe that diagnosis of IBS-D is incorrect. This is an example of why I don't see doctors except if I am having breathing difficulties. Anyone familiar with this? I would love to hear your feedback. Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is possible to have both Diverticular Disease and IBS, unfortunately.  If it was me I would still be inclined to go for a colonoscopy, as it does give a clearer view than a CT scan, and enables polyps and haemmorhoids to be removed, and biopsies to be taken, if necessary.  There are loads of different conditions which can cause occult blood and the usual follow up is the colonoscopy, which can rule out some conditions.  Both IBS and DD cause muscle spasms, so it is good the Bentyl is helping.  I take Mebeverine.  Best wishes
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply, yes I found out it is possible to have both. Most physicians here will not remove hemorrhoids they are very reluctant​ in that aspect. I have already been to a surgeon for that was told no. Colonoscopy scheduled at the end of the month and I am praying that I will not​ have a flare up because I was told that it will prevent me from having it.
    • Posted

How things change.  My father had his haemmorhoids removed, but that was 40 years ago!  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.