Colonoscopy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Dr wants me to get one before rectocele surgery to rule out any other issues. Ugh I have scheduled for the 26th. Anyone else have to get one? I just think this is unnecessary and a waste of time. I am also worried they will find something and delay me getting fixed. I just want to be righty righty lol

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have a colonoscopy but my doctor did have me get a defocography which checks for an entrocele as well as showing what is going on with the rectocele.   Not a fun test but I guess it gave them good information.

I have read that if you are having intestinal issues that need fixing as well, it can make more sense to do the rectocele repair anally (as well as fixing the other things, I think).  Maybe that is why? Maybe your doctor has everyone have a colonoscopy or maybe you have some symptoms that your dr thinks might mean other issues, too.

Good luck to you. 

• Posted

Hi Steph,

I didn't have to have a colonoscopy before my rectocele surgery, however I've had one in the past. I was dreading it but actually, the sedation was so good, I really didn't have a clue what was going on, which is good!

I know you're worried it will delay things but hopefully they won't find anything and Yuen surgery will go ahead.

Good luck

Sue x

• Posted

Sorry I don't quite understand what a colonoscopy has to do with prolapse (rectocele) surgery steph? Are you having both procedures?

• Posted

steph I apologise I didn't read your post correctly. Really sorry. Firstly are you in the UK because it is an extremely unusual procedure to be undertaken unless of course you have other gynae symptoms? Working for such a long time in the NHS I've never known of a colposcopy to be performed "to rule out other issues" prior to a pelvic floor repair. I know you mention you are worried they find something that may delay surgery but that's unlikely without other symptoms and if they did your Urogynaecologist would be able to deal with it at the same time I'm 99% certain. Doctors have to have good reason to perform any procedure in fact they can be disciplined (in the UK) for performing anything unnecessary so I would speak to your consultant again because I'm concerned he's not telling you everything.

• Posted

I am in the US lol they gotta make their money ya know. She wants one because of incontinence and bowel urgency issues
    • Posted

I did wonder if you were in the US steph. I suppose it's better to be absolutely sure nothing else us wrong. I had one about 10 years ago and with sedation it's pretty straightforward. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure it will be perfectly OK and you can then go on and have your surgery. Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.