colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 75, does that pose any extra problem for me if I have my colonoscopy without sedation?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lissa, I'm 70 (almost) and I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago, the only sedation I had was Entonox ((gas and air) and that was optional, I just had to stay in the hospital for about 20 minutes afterwards..  The nursing staff were wonderful, if you are worried ask them when you have your pre-colonoscopy chat.  Good luck smile .
    • Posted

Thanks Lissa, the answer is yes and no, no real nasties but I have diverticulitis off for follow up later this week.  Let us know how you get on smile  
    • Posted

Hi Carol, that doesn't sound like a walk in the park but know little about it, will do some research. As a dear friend of 94 says, advancing years are not for the faint-hearted. Do hope not too awful for you, pls keep me posted.
    • Posted

Hi  Carol, had my colonoscopy brought forward to yesterday, started restricted diet Xmas day!  Just had gas and air and because of particularly awkward twists & turns, lasted 55 minutes.  There were spells of severe pain but I had been prepared with the help of people like you and was able to see it through.  Like yourself, nothing sinister found, just diverticulitis so feeling thankful and relieved all over.  Thank you and all the very best to you and others who responded to my query.
    • Posted

Hi Lissa, so glad it's done and there was nothing nasty smile    Thanks for letting me know.  Wishing you a Happy New Year smile
  • Posted

Hi Lissa 

. My Mother im Law was 79 and found it very interesting watching the scope going round. She was absolutely fine. No sedation. Good luck. Please let us know how you get on

• Posted

Many thanks babs, v helpful. Hope m-in-law OK. Think my event will be in New Year.
  • Posted

I had  the  sedation and the pain  meds  and neither  worked  i  did feel  some  discomfort  but not  really painful  i  am  69  and  i was  scared but  its nothing  that bad  without sedation  i just  watched it  all on the  screen to take my mind  off it  they  kept  me in  for  30 mins  after and  were kind enough to  give  me  a  sandwich and  a  cup of  tea  as i  was  really hungry

some  like  sedation and  pain meds  others  do withought i dont think it  makes  any difference  to be honest  how old you  are  the  medication  wont  hurt you if  you feel  like  taking that  option

• Posted

That's good to hear, Barbara, thank you. I would add a smiley face if I could find one! All the v best to you.
    • Posted

Great news nothing  sinister  I have  diviticulitis too but that  can be managed  Happy  New  Year  to  you too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.