Colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 71 year old male and had an extended right hemicolectomy just over 3 years ago. The follow up colonoscopy after a year was all clear and there is another routine one at the end of 2017. Just how long does it take for a tumour to develop? Mine caused an obstruction. My consultant said that the 4 year colonoscopy is a 'biggie' and that has got me wondering. I do worry a lot. 

Also for statistically minded people, any figures for recurrence, 5 year survival etc when the 3 years have passed with all good results so far? It was T3 N0 M0. I've googled stuff and know I shouldn't. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

P.S. The CT scan after 18 months was all ok too. 
  • Posted

Hello John, My husband is 72 and he had an anterior resection on 5th December 2016.We were told it was stage 2 T3 with all 17 lymph nodes clear of cancer.Originally they said he would have chemo to "mop up" any stray cells, but now they are saying it might be better to watch and wait.

I am like you, a worrier and I also google!!

As far as I know most tumours start off as polyps and can take several years to develop,

We were also told that in my husbands case only 15 out of a 100 would have a recurrence and having chemo would shorten the odds to 12 in 100.Hope this helps ,

Best wishes

Jenny.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny. The surgery grade and lymph nodes taken sound about the same - I think I had 22 taken. There was a build up of 41/2 to 5 litres of fluid behind the tumour. Nasty. I think my reasoning or hope was that when you pass three years or so, the recurrence becomes less likely gradually and the 15% drops as you head towards the magic 5 year mark. 

I hope your husband continues to do well. 

• Posted

After 2-3 years the odds of recurrence plummet. Make it to 3 years and you will very probably be okay. You had 3A, so your odds of 5-year survival are probably about 80%. If you're clear at 3 years I'd put money on you recovering. I touched wood for you. If you're clear a 4 years, I'd put more money on you recovering wink 4 years is considered the "you're definately cured" mark. The odds of recurrence are miniscule after that. It means you will live smile

Did you have chemo by the way?

Relax. I had a 3B tumour that nearly blocked my intestine. I'm doing chemo and now they're scanning my liver too. I'm 49. My odds are way lower than yours at this time and over the next 5 years. I don't want to "go" but I'll take what comes. But it plays on my mind.

Eat lots of vegetables. Avoid poisons that affect your liver (booze, tobacco, drugs, sugar, high-sugar fruits). Live carefully. It sounds like you'll be okay to me. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Zowie! I read your post about 4 times and feel much more confident. I think I was 2A. The tumour reached the bowel wall but didn't go through it. The surgery became an emergency once they saw the CT scan. But I won't go into details here! I'm ok ish with my diet, but am too fond of sweet stuff. I also worked in a chocolate factory for a few years, but soon lost the urge to help myself. Tooo sweet really. I haven't touched booze for 10 years but drank a lot before I stopped. The drink may have been part of the cause I'm told. I don't smoke. In fact, I don't do much at all now which I shouldn't do... I eat lots of vegetables which are home grown, especially now as it's Summer where I live now. 

And chemo wasn't offered so I didn't have it. 

All the very best and thank you again for your encouraging reply. Yes, it plays on my mind too, but that's 'normal' I'm told. 

• Posted

I had the same John,is a tumour the same as a cancerous polyp? on my notes it said 5 to 10 years in age! Not looking forward to routine colonscopy,but its a small price to pay! i haven't googled too much smile

• Posted

As far as I know, a cancerous polyp can grow into a tumour. Tumours take a while to grow to the size mine was, but  can't give you an actual time. It probably varies. I am guessing that mine took several years but wasn't found until I started to have symptoms. A CT scan found it then it was into theatre straight away. I found my first colonoscopy 18 months after surgery no problem. If people have a cancerous polyp, it might be possible to take it out during the colonoscopy if it's small, but again, I don't know. Sorry to be so vague. Someone else like Zowie may give you more information and statistics. I'll wait for any replies with interest! Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.