Colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just giving my experience on the procedure I had done this week on tuesday, the day before the examination, you will need to clear the bowel, this all depends on your appointment the next day, I had movi prep, I think there all pretty much the same, you have to drink 2 litres of the stuff, so will need a litre jug to mix properly, you then drink small glasses over the next hour, this is repeated again about 2 hours later, so 1 litre and then another, the laxitive tastes disgusting, I bought a Robinson's still orange to dilute it to make it more bearable and this is ok to do as I asked the nurse before hand, when you start the prep make sure your near the toilet and have plenty of toilet roll and wet wipes to hand, also Vaseline helps with the soreness ! The whole process took about 7 hrs so make sure you've got everything you need at home before hand, also nothing to eat 8hrs before you start, you can still drink water and soft drinks but no milk, Onto the day of examination, I'd read lots of forums on having gas and air or sedatation, even when I arrived to the hospital I still couldn't decide and they will not advise you it has to be your decision, in the end I decided on gas and air ! BIG MISTAKE ! It didn't offer any pain releif just made me feel dizzy, I was having a full colon examination and the pain was incredible like someone stabbing you inside, the gas and air did nothing no matter how much I breathed in, it did make me scream at some points and I have a high pain barrier, the whole examination took about 20 mins, if I had to have it done again I would have sedatation with out a doubt, I spoke to another nurse and she had it done a week or so ago with sedation and didn't feel a thing, you have to ask for maximum sedatation though or you might still feel some pain, ok the recovery is longer but i would prefer that then having to go though all that pain again, afterwards the examination your taken to recovery as your full of air and bloated again this was very painful and the only way is to pass it but it takes a while, I'm on my second day now after it all and still feel sore inside, I would definatley recommend a days rest after it to recover from it all. Results are given on the day.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sedation varies on the actual patient.  Mine didn't do much at all just felt a little drunk when it went in, then it wore off, felt everything and remember everything which is contrary to what they said I would be like but glad I had it done anyway.

• Posted

Yeah the sedative makes you really relaxed apparently where I was really tense with just gas and air which made it extremely painful. Also they give you different strengths with the sedative, I think that's why nurse said after I was finished, ask for the max dossage sedative next time you won't feel a thing. I wouldn't wish the pain I experienced on my worst enemy.

• Posted

I don't know what they gave me, but I was very perky and chatty. I watched the screen and kept asking questions, mostly 'what's that?' It didn't take long as I've only half a bowel left. Very little pain and an all clear result. ?Another one coming up soon, the last one was 3 years ago. Thanks for sharing. 

• Posted

I don't think they've been using gas and air longer then a couple of years if you had the needle in your hand then it would have been the sedative I presume, good luck with your next examination, the gas and air made me just feel dizzy and sick, at least I know for next time.

• Posted

I agree Steve about the dizzy I had gas and air with a biopsy at Christmas but it wasn't a calming thing really.  I suppose with the sedation we would only know by looking at ourselves that it is actually having an affect.  I remember being told to turn twice and it was like I was doing it slowly even though I recall it all.  I don't think I had max dose though I didn't know you could have that.  We live and learn don't we.  It's good we can advise anyone we know having it done though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.