Colonoscopy

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had a colonoscopy done and report shows that my terminal lleum was not visualised , wondering if anyone knows what it means.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Medical Definition of Ileoscopy

Ileoscopy: Use of a flexible instrument (a "scope"wink to examine the ileum which is the lowest part of the small intestine.  Ileoscopy is usually accomplished during colonoscopy, when the instrument tip passes first through the rectum and the lower colon and eventually reaches the area where the ileum and the colon (the large bowel) connect. The examiner can look at the ileum and take biopsy samples of the lining tissues, if needed.  If yours was not visualised, I think that simply means it was not seen.  From what I have read, not all doctors go that far up during a routine colonoscopy.  Sometimes due to kinks and twists in the colon it is simply not possible.  If there were any concerns that the doctor had not been able to see something that should have been seen, it is normal to refer on for a CT scan if you had not already had one.  If you have not been referred on for further examination I would not worry about it, just wait for the results to come through and get your doctor to explain them.

• Posted

Thank you for that information, I've had a ct scan prior to the colonoscopy, and have been referred back to my gastroenterologist, just curious as to what it meant. 

Sarah 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.