Colonoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have got a high reading of c serum reactive protein which is a maker for an infection/inflammation in the body, doctors thinks possible due to recent flare up of diverticulosis, I didn't get antibiotics and dealt with the flare up with liquid diet maybe I should have got antibiotics . has anyone else had this high reading after a flare up mine is 112mg when it should bec10mg.. got a blood test again on 12 August if it hasn't gone down refer for further investigation. I dread this happening as my last colonoscopy was so painful, has anyone requested general anesthesia for a colonoscopy.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i was recently diagnosed in the beginning of May. i had a colonoscopy about a month ago and requested to be knocked out. I experien ed no pain or after effects. i am still figuring out what I can and cannot eat but am feeling better each week. Very slow healing process.

• Posted

I've had 5 colonoscopies so far in my lifetime. Always have a "twilight" anesthesia, not a general anesthesia. I felt nothing during the procedure. I slept through the whole thing.

• Posted

I think it depends where you live. In the UK I don't think they ever knock you out, and they've reduced the sedation to minimal levels (so minimal I never noticed any difference to full consciousness last time). If you are lucky and live in the USA, it's normal to be put out, I think.

• Posted

Bear in mind that the CRP test like the ESR test is non-specific and measures general inflammation in the body so it may relate to the diverticulosis or may not. It can me a marker for heart disease, arthritis, infections even trauma so have the second blood test before worrying about another scope.

I doubt you would be given a general anaesthetic for a colonoscopy. Those who opt for sedation are not really unconscious when they have sedation. Part of the drug cocktail is Midazolam which makes a patient forget the recent past. This is why patients are meant to have someone stay with them for 24 hours after the procedure as that forgetfulness can linger. If you need a further scope, talk to the pre-procedure nurse about what they can do to ease your anxiety.

• Posted

hi cjb106

I know the CRP test is a marker for inflammation it is just finding out where from, hoping it has dropped at my next blood test on 12 August , also have been referred for ECG on same day. I have been unwell for a few weeks now, flare up diverticulosis, bad cough and then cold, constipated so hoping things are settling down now, just left with a feeling of shaking and lightheadedness. Not been having a good time over past few weeks. I will not to think about colonoscopy as I certainly didn't even feel like I had any sedation on my last one, think it may have been so painful due to the diverticulia being present on investigation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.