Colonoscopy and Flare

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am seeing a common thread through some of the posts.  Have any of you experienced a "flare" after having the colonoscopy?  After not having a flare for a while?  I am due for one and having second thoughts if it might cause a flare due to its intrusive nature.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure if it was just that because I was told what I had I was made more aware of the symptoms. I would definitely have another colonoscopy if I needed one. Sorry not much help x
  • Posted

Hi I had a colonoscopy yesterday and apart from feeling a little tender this morning,I seem to be ok so far. It was the first one I've had, as diagnosed with acute diverticulitis 6 weeks ago following emergency admittance to hospital and 3 weeks out of action on IV antibiotics and then tablets.

I have found lots of helpful pointers from this forum by others suffering with this condition. 

But the main thing that I've noticed that seems to be helping me is changing completely what and how I eat.  Moved into a high fibre diet roughly 5 days of the week, cut out red meat completely and just have a little chicken. Eat more vegetables,     I don't go mad on fruit as that seems to upset me as does too much salad. But find a few dried apricots are ok.

I've reduced all food portion sizes and instead have little and often meals/snacks. Other 2 days, I have cuppa soups and very light food.  Lost 1.5 stone now, I realise a lot of that is probably fluid to start with but it's going in the right direction. I drink at least 1.5 litres of water during the day, something I never did before.  I reduce the amount of milk I have in coffee and changed to decaf.

whilst it is early days and a lot of these food changes are trial and error, I do feel much better at the moment.  I haven't introduced any excercise yet as just haven't had the energy, but plan to begin that next week if I feel well enough.

My consultant suggests these changes just help control the condition but won't necessarily prevent flare ups, stress plays a part sometimes.  

Colonoscopy showed 1 area still very infected but consultant surgeon says this should improve within 4 weeks as I have diverticulitis throughout the bowel. Don't know if that's what everyone has or not.  

So now just waiting for biopsy results.  Hope your colonoscopy goes ok and no flare up afterwards.

• Posted

I have multiple diverticula I have had it probably for years always had a funny tummy I have changed my eating habits I too have gown down a size in clothes I feel much better for it
    • Posted

I had my first colonscopy about 3 years ago and due for another in 2 years.  Didn't have any problems after the procedure myself but I see a little of a comon thread through some of the forums.  

• Posted

Some people do seem to.  For me though it was the opposite.  Once I had been cleared out and the after effects of the prep worn off, I actually felt better with less pain.  It was as though the infection had been flushed away.  Mind you, they could not complete the colonoscopy due to the location of the diverticula, so I didn't have the scope in too far.

• Posted

Both times, yes. It's a concern because you want to be sure everything is OK, but it can also bring on a flare. I had my second colonoscopy a year ago, having been trouble free for nearly 2 years. Afterwards I had to take antibiotics to control a flare. Since then I have never felt completely better, though not in need of pills. It just niggles with low grade pain and occasional upsets and just when I think it's settles it grumbles again. I am due for another colonoscopy in 2 years and I'm dreading it, though I know it's probably for the best.

• Posted

I would hate to think that something that is supposed to catch problems could actually cause them too.  I guess there is risk in all that we do and we have to decide if the risk is worth the benefit.
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy on March 31 and woke up April 8 with tenderness in lower middle, mucus and blood just one time but 2 normal bowel movements that morning and that was it except the tenderness is still there. I'm guessing a mild flare but I remembered you asking if anyone had a flare after a colonoscopy. I'm eating normally with no other symptoms.

• Posted

I had a bad flare up in December was put on strong antibiotics I have had pain in lower left side on and off since I wish I could eat normal and anything I fancy I have had to give up so many foods I really love I can't risk setting it off x

• Posted

Funny.  I just posted this and lo and behold I get a letter from my gastro doc that it's time for another one!  Time flies!!!~

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.