colonoscopy and upper endoscopy at the same time

Posted , 78 users are following.

Last Friday I had a combined colonoscopy and endoscopy of the oesophogus, duodenum and stomach done at the same time. Leading up to the procedure I was absolutely terrified and spent hours looking for information from people who'd had it done so I thought I would share it for others who may have to have both or either of these investigations.

I am a 45 year old female. I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia about a month ago and because of that my GP wanted me to go for a colonoscopy. Not until my appointment came through did I realise I was also having the upper endoscopy done at the same time. Both of these procedures were terrifying to me and it was hard to work out which I was most nervous about; something going down my throat or something where the sun don't shine!

I was sent some industrial strength laxatives with instructions on how to use them. Two days before I had to eat a low residue diet. In fact all I ate was white bread toasted. On the morning of the day before I was allowed some breakfast then only clear fluids (juice, water, black coffee/tea) from then onwards. At 2pm I had to take 10 senokot tablets. Nothing happened. At 4pm I had to mix one sachet of a powder (can't remember the name) with 8oz of hot water and wait half an hour before drinking it. Tasted very citrusy and ok at first but after a few mouthfulls it didn't taste too good but not as bad as some people describe. Nothing happened until about an hour or so later when I got quite severe stomach cramps and 'runs' to the loo! That was it from then; regular need to visit the loo with very little warning other than rumblings in the lower abdomen. I had to take a further sachet at 7pm. Apart from the first bout of severe cramps I had no pain; just exhausting regular visits to the loo until about midnight and a couple when I got up early in the morning of the day of the procedure.

The day of my appointment I cried all the way to the hospital (my partner came with me). I cried the whole time I was in the waiting room and when they were booking me in (check bp etc). I hadn't signed the consent form (which they'd sent with the appointment information) because I wanted to make sure that the Dr knew how terrified I was. He came to see me before I was taken to the procedure room (which was a sort of operating theatre) and promised me he would make sure I was well sedated (asleep!) before he started.

The nurse had put a canula for IV meds into the back of my hand. I walked into the procedure room ( still crying :roll: ). Before the sedation was given and because I was having the upper endoscopy aswell, the Dr sprayed my throat with a local anaesthetic (tastes like vodka mixed with banana), they had to give me this mouth piece which is there to protect your teeth from the scope; they also put a little sponge attached to a tube in your nostril which gives you oxygen while you're sedated. The Dr started putting in the IV sedation which was midazolam and a narcotic pain relief called fentanyl. I told him it wasn't working and he assured me it was; he was right as I have no memory or knowledge of the upper endoscopy; I have a very vague recollection of waking up during the colonoscopy; I was aware it was very uncomfortable but felt disasociated from the pain and more interested in the image on the television screen from the camera! They must've given me more meds because the next thing I know I was waking up in recovery feeling euphoric with relief because they were telling me it was all over :P

I was then allowed to sleep for an hour when they woke me up offering tea and biscuits. They asked me to try walking to the loo and back to make sure I wasn't going to keel over then took me (with my partner) in to a private room to give me the test results. They like you to have someone with you for this part because the midazolam makes you forget things. For about 2 days afterwards I was very very tired and forgetful but am fine now (3 days later) and have been to work today no problems.

I'm sorry this is such a long posting, but it's so hard to find detailed descriptions of these things and for most people these sort of investigations are very fearful prospects and I wanted to share a relatively postive experience in the hope it might help someone else feel less anxious leading up to their appointment.

I hope never to have it done again; but if I do I will not be anywhere near as scared or worried as I was before this first one. I swear I was so scared I was awake most nights leading up to it worrying and googling it (you'll find plenty of horror stories which is why I thought I'd attempt to redress the balance with a positive one).

If you are scare and/or, like me, you have a low pain threshold, then don't be affraid to tell the staff and ask them to make sure you are well sedated.

The staff in the endoscopy unit were lovely and very very compassionate and supportive.

25 likes, 142 replies

142 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm glad to hear you're doing well cry baby.  Thanks SO much for your entire story.  You are globally reaching out to people in need.

My Mother had and endoscopy and colonoscopy last Thursday.  Her endoscopy was done because of her chronic cough, EVERY time she ate.  Since then, she has hardly coughed. 

I wish you well.

• Posted

V scared so thank you for this, though I was warned it's better to have spray and be present than have sedative. I live on a farm and am often on my own working so worried about not functioning! Have had lots of ops as a child so worked hard to relax for anaesthetics, especially generals, using visualisations but being present will be another thing! I also freak at morphine etc and feel I can't breathe and am sick so scared of that feeling too... Not sure which way to go. The gastroscope y scares me most sad
  • Posted

i just wanted to thank you,you helped me making a Decision.xrolleyes

• Posted

I have a colonoscopy booked for August and Am Absolutely C**Ping Myself - dont handle pain of any sort well ( have to have IV Sedation just to see a Dentist ) - after the early posts on here i was thinking "ok not so bad" but not now !
  • Posted

I have a colonoscopy and endoscopy done four days ago.  I was sedated so I didn't feel anything.  I am waiting for results to be given in a couple of weeks.  Although I don't feel any pain, I feel a sort of pressure on my upper stomach area like a feeling of going on a roller coaster.  Again, no pain, and I have been eating and going to the toilet normal.  Has anyone felt the same after the procedure? It might be that the digestive system is sore from the invasive procedure... Any thoughts?
  • Posted

im having a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the 7th of august due to been anaemic twice in the last 18 months or so the last time i had my blood tests done my blood count was 7.9 i have"nt had a colonoscopy before and i have had 4 endoscopies before now i had the spray done each time but this time im hoping to be sedated even though ive had endoscopies before and the staff are re-assuring  im still nervous and i just want it over with and it does make me feel a bit better though knowing im not the only one i do hope all goes well with everybody. 
  • Posted

Hi, thought is update the site to give my experience and a little advice.

i had both procedures at the same time. My mother overdramatised the effects of the picolax and whilst unpleasant is manageable providing you prepare yourself to ensure you are comfortable and relaxed as you can be. Ie, plan to stay very close to the toilet and activities that allow for that, buy moist tissues and listen to your body. Most importantly drink lots of clear fluids from the day before you take it and a reasonably substantial high protein meal even if you have to persuade yourself as I did and remember you will need more if it's warm. The worse effects I had was from dehydration which made me feel sick and very weak on the day of the procedures. I did not help myself by staying out in the sun doing some DIY sanding cabinets as I wanted to keep my mind occupied and stay close to the downstairs loo! I also listened to some relaxation recordings from a few days before, especially to sleep. Read the eating plan and advice 3 times as soon as you receive it in the post, that way you'll have white bread, stock, drinks etc ready. Buy yourself something nice and energising and drink to take with you for afterwards as you'll need the energy and need a reward to look forward, ie treats and an easy dinner.  Get an early night if you can with a jug of water but take a note of the last drink you can have on the day of the procedure.  For each sachet I found it took two or three hours with the worst bit 4 to 5 hours in. By around 9 pm the worst was over and I didn't have a single accident but used thick cheap pads in case. A little e45 was useful too! From then on only a few watery episodes followed even after the procedure.

i was weak with a bad headache from the afternoon before until after I was given fluids on a drip as I was dehydrated. I was persuaded to have sedation by the nurse as I had both procedures. I thought I was going to get a throat spray as well but I didn't and wish I had checked to remind them to give me one. I was most nervous about the upper scope and it was all so fast it did not give me time to get ready, or I guess they thought panic but being honest it did hurt the side of my throat but I noted people just having the upper got a spray. I thought I would feel sleepy and was given buscopan but I was wide awake. To be honest I was so relieved to get that thing out of my mouth I would have let them do almost anything! Luckily the first was over quickly and the second not too uncomfortable but I kept talking quickly to the male nurse whose arm I squeezed tightly and then started watching the screen which was large, clear and colourful. When I said ouch, as the tube went around sharp bends the operator slowed. Immediately after I was taken back to the small day ward and offered tea and a sandwich. My throat was sore for at least a day after but my tummy was fine and returned to normal a day afterwards. The nurses were fantastic and very attentive, despite being busy and I am glad I did not have it done at a busy London hospital but a friendly rural country one. I sent them a thank you card.

i await my biopsy results in 4-6 weeks and pleased, as an ex smoker that nothing was found on the oesophagus or an ulcer following a divorce.  No evidence for anaemia was found, the reason to investigation.

i hope this helpslol

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your expierience, I'm 63 and having a colonoscopy this afternoon, I to have been terrified, I woke yesterday morning at 5 am with cramps and diarrhea ,stress I think, I took first sachet picolax at 9 am 9.50 I ran to the loo didn't quite make it ,then a succession on trips lasting all day .it was like water pouring out of a bucket. 4 pm I took my second sachet, off and on the loo till midnight. Just been again and it's 7.45 am  I used moist wipes and bought every cream known to man but I'm still a bit sore. I am still dreading the colonoscopy but the other part of me just wants it over with. I to read many horror stories and yet even though I was terrified of the prep it wasn't as bad as I thought, it was the fear of the unknown and reading to much about the negative things. I will let you know how it all goes and will be glad when my tummy stops growling. 
    • Posted

Hi, I just wanted to thank you so much for your post. I’m due to have the same two  procedures in couple weeks. I have been feeling so scared and not sleeping, basically acting in the exact same manner as you did prior to your procedures. I also suffer from severe anxiety which seems to control my life on just a normal day.  I felt soo much better and at ease when I read your post and how your experience was. It has certainly minimised my doubts and any fear I have. I was actually greatful of how informative your post was. It definitely wasn’t long but certainly very helpful.  Thanks again for sharing?? and helping others out there get through.

• Posted

Hi, a BIG THANK YOU to you for your on depth info on these double procedures that you recently had done. I too have these same procedures on 31st Oct and scared too! However, I am so pleased to hear that you can also be sedated for colonoscopy too because I have been sedated before for Endoscopy but nervous for bottom one!! You truly have reassured me and thank you for taking the time to write it on here! Hope your results were good and you are now well.  Best wishes C. X
    • Posted

Hi

your most welcome, i am still suffering with the chest pain and tomorrow having treadmill test to rule out angina, i think its because i keep persisting with dr, i just want to no what is causing this so i can get on with my life. If this is acid as all of stomach is inflamed including gall bladder why am i getting no relief? I wish u well with tests and can assure you they are nothing to panic over the sedation relaxes you completely.

regards

Steph xx

• Posted

Thank you once again Steph and again for your reply. Good luck with treadmill and hope it gives you the answers you are looking for. I myself have a barrage of test to come even having gone thro an awful lot already. ...but its worth it if it gives me answers too. Good luck and wishing you only the best.  Regards. Chris xx
    • Posted

I will keep u posted.. Hoping to find out that these are all clear and then work towards getting better, as after all is all we all really want eh. Yet i have to do more tests just want one to find answers lol

Steph xx

• Posted

I will keep u posted.. Hoping to find out that these are all clear and then work towards getting better, as after all is all we all really want eh. Yet i have to do more tests just want one to find answers lol

Steph xx

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience.  One always hears the negative stories.  Your detailed account is very reassuring and I feel ready to take on the dreaded Moviprep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.